The Madman’s Diaries - The Blues Chapters - Chapter Two - Updated 161023 New Recording Added

Index for October Recordings
021023 - Hamburger Recordings #11
021023 - Hamburger Recordings #13
021023 - Hamburger Recordings #14
051023 - Jeff McErlain - Inhale
051023 - Jeff McErlain - Guitar George
161023 - Hamburger Recordings #12

Been way too long since I recorded the last of my acoustic Blues progress reports and the way this recording session has been going, it could have been longer. The plan was to record the next 4 tracks from the course I have been following, these all being in Drop D. But the sharp eyed will see there are only 3. Although all 4 tracks have been under my fingers for a good few weeks, when I started recording them last week I encountered Extreme RBS. Hours and hours of repetitive recording failures, as I stuffed up with bum notes or not going to the right bass line or just losing the way. :angry: :rage: :angry:

For some reason today I managed to capture a reasonable run but the playing still feels untidy but they are in the can for now. They all need revisiting anyway as all need a tempo boost.

Hamburger Recordings #11

Hamburger Recordings #13

Hamburger Recordings #14

As its the start of the month, I’ll attempt to add #12 if I get the damn thing recorded but I’m hoping to add at least a couple of the Blues Rock Solo exercises that are still to be recorded but I’ve not picked up an electric in the last 4 weeks, which has been nothing but fingerstyle.

Along with the Acoustic Blues, I’ve been focused on more traditional folks fingerstyle patterns, which are making progress. I’ll likely add them to my LL as WIPs, as they definitely ain’t the Blues, not by a long chalk.

Had planned a video diary but under the weather again, so you’ll have to make do with the typed variety instead. Anyway teach me for attacking our crazy Wisteria when its 30c in the shade. Mad dogs and Englishmen …

All comments, feedback welcome including :bread: :poop: :bread: where needed, The old Rhino has thick skin and still willing to learn from his betters.

Anon.

:sunglasses:

22 Likes

Ah yes, RBS. I know it well. Frankly what you have recorded sounded pretty solid to me. No :bread: :poop: :bread: from me.

1 Like

Well Toby, they all sounded pretty tidy to me. Steady thumb beat and a bloozy feel to them all. I particularly enjoyed the harmonic note at the end of no.11.
Alternative tunings is an avenue I haven’t ventured down yet, but you’ve clearly got drop D sussed.
Well done.

30c in the shade. You should be so lucky! :grinning:

1 Like

Well what a delight to see as I check up on goings on in the community after a hard days graft. Definitely, no need for a :bread: :poop: :bread: beyond me to off you any critique, I think you’re coming along pretty darn well and ready to tackle some Blind Lemon Jefferson pieces. While you’re in drop D tuning I’ve DM you a piece to give a go.

1 Like

Enjoyed that Toby good solid steady thumb. That was the hardest thing for me to master when I learnt this style of blues. Alternating the thumb beat can naturally for me but stead took a long time to master. Good job

1 Like

Sounding great Toby! I’m getting a Justin Johnson feel from these…

2 Likes

Justin is so good, and this does have that vibe!

1 Like

I love it Toby. Makes me want to pick my acoustic blues studies up again! Maybe I actually will now. lol. Love that steady thumb work. Not easy to do.

1 Like

Hi Toby,
:sunglasses: :clap: :sunglasses:
And

Double points for keeping on going and posting 3 good videos of good quality :sunglasses: :clap: you won’t be able to get these out of your fingers with minimal repetition over the months

:joy: good luck and don`t think to much about me while playing and making a (few) mistakes :laughing:
Ps: liked the Drop D style … Ooo noooo there I go again again again :grimacing: :rabbit2: :hole:
Greetings

1 Like

Those recordings sounded pretty good to my ears, Toby! :smiley: :+1:

That was a solid, steady thumb work in all the pieces and each of it has its own beauty, but somehow #11 catched me most. Liked those little twiddles on the 1st string. Also, your guitar has an adorable sound and the dropped D suits it really well!

I’m looking forward to the next recordings and keep fingers crossed, RBS won’t hit as hard again.

PS: no, no need to put any :poop: in my :sandwich:, I’d rather ham ‘n’ cheese. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Bravo, Toby, all three sounded great. Above my play-grade to offer any meaningful critique. Excellent job on the recordings, the guitar tones, sounded fabulous.

1 Like

Hi Toby, I follow your blues studies with much interest, as I’m doing my first (baby)steps in that genre at the moment.
Your fingerwork looks quite tricky, but you mastered it so well :+1::smiley:.
I’m looking forward to no. 12 (fingers crossed that RBS takes a day or two off :slightly_smiling_face:).

1 Like

Big appreciation for all the comments folks, too many to reply to individually but some interesting observations. The reference to Justin Johnson made me smile, as I’ve been listening to him a lot this year. But the origins go much deeper than that and to the Bluesmen of the 30s and 40s. Listen to them and you hear what influences JJ, all good for sure. What I like about the style most and not just the physical hands on strings feel, is just being able to pick up and muse out 12, 16 or 20 bars of Blues and it all sounds mellow and complete. Its just the recording that screws it all up.

When I complete the 20 tracks in the course, I plan to see which ones can be fused together in an attempt to build some longer songs. As they’re all solid 12BB format most of the time, the chance to lay some standard Blues lyric format over the top is a future possibility.

Manage to get my “Gilmour’esque” solo recorded today but was not happy with the camera angle. So will have another go tomorrow, then on to the Knopfler style track. So a little electric distraction. before heading back to pure acoustic fingerstyle.

Thanks to all for listening !

3 Likes

It was good :grinning:. What style, technique is this ?

1 Like

Fingerstlye Acoustic Blues, also known as Steady Thumb Blues, Dead Thumb Blues and draws a lot from traditional Delta Blues. :sunglasses:

Where to learn this ? :guitar::ok_hand:

1 Like

Justin has his premium course which I am following,

which is similar to this but these are from a David Hamburger course. The first 10 tracks of the course were recorded HERE Blues Diaries Chapter One

Thx for listening.

1 Like

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::guitar::ok_hand::ok_hand:

Hi Toby, I‘m a little late. You know, that I‘m very interested in your blues chapters , I had just a quick listen yesterday due to time issues but heard it for a second time this morning and have to say, for me it‘s far more than only „in the can“ and I didn‘t feel them as „untidy“ as you say.
Still such a newbie to blues that I can‘t offer any helpful contribution, but my ears told me about a steady thumb beat, accurate picking, great tone on the guitar and fine bluesy vibes coming out of that guitar! I liked all the three very much and wish you good luck on recording #12!

2 Likes

Very cool Toby!
I’m nowhere near the blues but this was fun. Your hat reminds me this a little :slight_smile: .

1 Like