The Madman's Learning Log

Gordon

Its whatever works for you.

I found I got a bit lost after completing the Intermediate Courses, mainly as the plans I created lacked decent structure, which I personally need or I didn’t stick to them. Some thing happened last year doing all the exercises, relating to Richard’s great guides and I decided I really needed to get my tish together this year, while I’m still young. :rofl:

I was working on Blues Lead and Rhythm off an on, over the last couple of years as I said before but some things didn’t quite gel, hence looking out side but now I can bring all that together. So you could say the only thing I have added to the mix is fingerstyle. It just looks daunting when everything is mapped out individually.

Open chords up the neck is great ! Finally I am out of that 4 fret cage without the need for barre chords. Try an open Amaj7 (same as D7 but up a string, open A and E) some sweet sounds with that one. See already my 1 chord a day plan is out the window but hey its fun. Weird thing is, I been messing with D major riffs on the bottom 3 strings, ever since I learnt it as one of my first chords 25 years ago. Never crossed my mind about moving the others around !! DOH !! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

You know, for an
aging,
exiled,
beer-drinking,
irreverent,
hog-riding,
loud-mouthed,
axe-wielding
rebel,
Madman
you’re a pretty organised, spreadsheet type of guy, aren’t you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’m impressed.

(Oh yeah, can’t remember which thread it was, but that Root/5th/3rd position thing you shared from @stitch suddenly clicked, esp. in relation to E-shaped barre chords. I haven’t been working on any theory/skills of late, but we can still pick up the odd nugget, eh?)

Cheers, mon ami :smiley:

4 Likes

Per day!?

I struggle to find 3 hours in a week :-/

1 Like

I’m retired, its winter and my missus aint to clever health wise. So I get about 50 minutes after morning dog walk. 30 minutes after midday coffees, then however much I want to play from about 21:30 until I turn in, so another couple of hours there. One of the reason I wanted to a plan for all I a have been working, so I can then practice more methodically. That’s the plan anyway !

3 Likes

Well bar the spreadsheet I have kept my reputation in tact !! After last year with all @Richard_close2u “projects” I realised if I actually focused on this stuff, I could not only understand it but play it. So its given me the incentive I needed to get to where I think I should be. If that takes a spreadsheet, I’ll take that !

As to the Root/3rd/5th yep that what happened to me when @stitch passed it my way years back. Suddenly a world of not only major triads but minors, 7th, add9 etc. Can see them in my head but not always in my fingers. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Sounds like you have a pretty good system happening. Three hours- impressive!

1 Like

That’s the frame work Pam but there will be days like today when late evening impro and song work gets missed, when other events crop up. I can handle that if it means I get the learning elements done during the day, which I did today. :sunglasses:

Just realized the NGD Gretsch G2622T never got added to my roadcase, the new label throwing me, Got carried away with development stuff, so back to the hardware. :smiley:

So seeing as though I suffered a new bout of GAS, here is said Streamliner, followed by the organised chaos under the “recording studio” desk. Not quite sure what’s going where yet, some nothing is plumbed in yet bar the Mustang doofers.

So the Trio+ and FS3X need facilitating ! Comfy slippers pas obligatoire !
All looks a bit too tidy !

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Gretsch sure is a beauty, Toby.

Good luck figuring out how to position all the pedals. As it is can’t imagine myself being able to maintain balance and rhythm to stomp the right switch at the right time. But then a single switch on one pedal, either Play Acoustic (speaking of…) or Ditto, is a challenge for me.

Darned knew I forgot something!:wink:

1 Like

What’s one more box to add into the plumbing and preparation for the pedal tap dance.

“I’m doing the pedal tap dance” kind sounds like the line of a chorus about pedal mania, can see a video with somebody stomping them on and off :laughing:

Ha ! No doubt I’d stumble off into the side desk or step back on the T-Bucket. Anyway next GAS will need to be some boring mini jack cables. But even that feels exciting !! :rofl:

1 Like

Toby. You’ll find you don’t want the Trio+ on the floor. You’ve got to be able to reach the knobs and buttons so you’ll want it at hand height. The FS3X switch goes on the floor. That’s why the switch is essential and I can’t understand why it’s sold as an optional extra.

Thanks Gordon.

This would be more OM layout once the songs are set up and ready to roll, so no need to change on the fly. In fact would be spread out a little more as the mic stand sits in the middle of that collective.

Would I need it to hand to change songs ? (only half way through the manual) :sleeping:

But yes for setting things up and tweaking I agree it needs to be to hand. Certainly what I’ve been doing so far, as I’ve not touched the foot switch yet.

1 Like

Well a little spurt of mini-GAS in the Madman’s Studio today. I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

So all neatly stacked 'n racked. The Streamliner is now out of the case and joins the Washburns at the hollow body end of the line up and all within arms reached (well near as damn it), The Fender T-Bucket is still on the right of the studio desk. And the single stand is marked “reserved”. Don’t panic the rad is on minimal output.

Some new bridge pins and some 80cm patch cables in the same package. Nothing exciting.
Nothing to see, move along now please.

7 Likes

Err… What are you doing with the old stands?
We might be going to France this summer.
I don’t think it’s a great idea for a gas man like you to have empty guitar stands just lying about.
Just sayin’ :wink:

3 Likes

Well it is my birthday at the end of the month and as I say its marked “reserved”. :wink:
You know that if you picked up the stand, it would need filling !! :rofl:

1 Like

Looking good Toby. That’s quite a collection you have.

Birthday coming … that missing Tele-style?

1 Like

That would teling :rofl: No they’ve never floated my boat but you will just have to wait !

1 Like

Ooo Toby, it’s really starting to look like an addiction :blush:,…but it looks nice and tidy like this… :sunglasses:

And @sairfingers ,and the rest

They should shoot them for this,really ridiculous :see_no_evil:

1 Like