The Madman's Learning Log

Flipping heck Toby talk about organised! I have to admit I would never put a 5 min practice item down…by the time I’ve thought about it the 5 minutes have gone. Minimum chunks for me would always be 15 mins I think.

Oh on the Trio+ if you have the footswitch the actual Trio+ needs to sit on a desk and then you can easily move between songs. In fact mine is permanently at that height on my setup or playing live. You prep the count in and start the actual song using the footswitch.

Gordon I wouldn’t worry I am totally unorganised when it comes to “practice” I keep telling myself I’ll sort a proper schedule out at some point but I never get around to it :rofl: Maybe later in the year!

Looks good on paper but like you most things run for at least 10-15 minutes. But for the moment times on my side until spring keeps me busy,
:sunglasses:

Toby is filling it with his air guitar collection. :blush:

Nice set up Toby. Keeping everything close at hand.

3 Likes

The radiator does worry me a bit Toby.

1 Like

And you really hate changing your tuners don’t you? :grin:

1 Like

… and don’t mention the straps! :roll_eyes: :laughing:

1 Like

:joy: :rofl:
But neatly it is there Toby :sunglasses:

Thanks @SS7 a lot of useful information that i took to heart.
Thanks!

Colour co-ordinated. Advice from a higher power but no complaints here :rofl:

1 Like

Fingerstyle Update

I have been meaning and trying to do this for a number of weeks but have had servers RBS when videoing predetermined fingerstyle etudes. Doesn’t happen on impros (I hope as one planned in the next few minutes) and certainly not on song recordings. But on these I constantly freeze, so its taken many hours to get this shoddy update out on the streets,

Its following on from the early January post and then exercises on Mario Cirillo’s 7 day fingerstyle course, But I was never in a rush with other projects running in parallel. All of these have been played more fluently, so the challenge is to be able to do that will the camera is rolling.

The final one is just a taster. The last exercise is a simplified version Asturias and this is just the first part of the first riff and I’ll have to add a B and e string “drone”. I am in the process of adding the picked B string at the moment which makes mega snail pace.

I’ve added version of the real thing which I suspect Darrell will like, :wink:

Feedback welcome but self critique number one from me, my wrist is not straight so my thumb is further back from where it really needs to be and on one piece the alternating fingering seems to have gone west but they are all work in progress.

5 Likes

The Madrigal Son returns!
Love it Toby.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Toby looking sharp there, great to see you on a venture to fingerstyle again! Things I would pick up on are ones you mentioned, now wash rinse repeat, build your pace and you are good as gold. All the best :wink:

1 Like

Yeah Toby, Iaughed and celebrated with you and your victories.

1 Like

Good to see how quickly fingerstyle already sounds like “making more” music :sunglasses:…and I’ve seen that beautiful lady at the end play more than once…also with sound off good to watch…in instead of… nooo you are lovely too :innocent:
Wish you a lot of fun with further developments, :smiley:
greetings

1 Like

Dude, you’re video blogs take as much time-trawling as David’s wordy rapping-hood updates!
You guys are approaching my OM-intro blathering levels :rofl:
Having said that, always worth a read/listen and this one no exception.
Sounding good old-timer and a great addition to the armoury. Will sound fab when you get them up to speed and are able to mix ‘n’ match.
I can’t hear the Asturias without being transported back to my youf through those Doors of Mr. Mojo Risin’s perception :crazy_face:
Rock on :metal:

1 Like

There are so many avenues to this whole guitar thing. Well done Toby. Some lovely fingerstyle on display there.

Great work, Toby. You are building great skills there that I can imagine you eventually working into your rocking repertoire when mixo madman plays again.

I can imagine some of those in the soundtrack of a Sergio Leone classic or maybe played by El Mariachi in a dingy bar in Mexico :grin:

Loved that fist pump and cut gesture.

Keep on wishing, Brian, you’re a sultan of song and the king of blather :laughing:

That man Robby could PLAY. Time for LA Woman

Now who said the 90s delivered the best music ever …

2 Likes

@Richard_close2u I know I am getting old but that old :rofl:

@adi_mrok Thank you sir, its getting there but no rush and yes I need to watch that thumb. :+1:

@batwoman laughed ??? I was being deadly serious as always :wink: Ta me dear. :sunglasses:

@roger_holland I was focusing solely on her playing ! The making music is what drew me to Marco’s lessons. I am still working on Justin’s Folk Fingerstyle patterns but they are a long way from being applied to anything. So this was a quick win, when it goes right. :sunglasses:

@brianlarsen Yes it would have been a few minutes rambling in front of the camera and no doubt takes longer to read but hey the next post is even more Preeceish ! Glad you enjoyed it, loving this style of music and something to explore while gaining skills that can be applied in the real Madman’s world. Good Doors share but this could actually lead to some Sabbath !

@sairfingers The are many cul-de-sacs as well but we won’t go there ! Thanks for the comments, its been a challenge but getting there. Thank you. :sunglasses:

@DavidP Ha yes a cover from Desperado may be on the cards some time in the future, which was always in the back of my mind as its a great soundtrack. But I’ll probably get side tracked by Tito & The Tarantulas that more my usual java

MMm yes glad to get the final cut !! Glad that last sentence got lined out !

2 Likes

Fabulous. I thought a little SRV-esque in some moments and a little bit of channeling the inner Jim in the vocals at times

:rofl:

Oh, a Robert Plant song - I’ve also got it on my list :joy: