The Madman's New Diary Chapter Eight - Simply A Madman 45 yrs On From 77

Toby, congrats on the anniversary to you both. That was a really nice rendition, LS have never been an interest of mine, but you are leading me to open my mind and give them more time.
I really like your acoustic performances, they match well with your vibe and thought the vocals were great.

1 Like

Sounded good to my ears sir! Well played and sung. You did justice to the original. Nice version.

1 Like

Great playing and singing Toby. Even though you mentioned that you winged it, your version was a pleasure to listen to. Thanks for sharing it

1 Like

Excellent song Toby. I have been a Skynyrd fan for a long time, but I didnā€™t realize until reading your intro that the crash happened on my birthday. :pensive: A great start to a Sunday morning.

1 Like

Hi Toby,
Before I started listening I started typing a story in my head about you singing about being simple,ā€¦but I was caught by the throat when you started singing,ā€¦I think I still have not heard everything from you, but this one belongs to the top,ā€¦ :sunglasses: :bouquet: :clap: :clap: :sunglasses: :man_bowing:
Greetings,ā€¦

1 Like

@TheOldGuy Scott thanks for the listen, glad you enjoyed it. :sunglasses:

@philsmith Cheers Phil. I should do more acoustic projects but they are a bit outnumbered in the stable and like to share the love :rofl: Maybe there will be another one in the coming weeks. Yep with Skynyrd its not just all out down and dirty Southern Rock but man the helps. :sunglasses:

@CT Clint the simple man kept it simple for the simple man. Thanks for the comments. :+1:

@Dro_1 Thanks Sandro glad you enjoyed. Iā€™m moving closer to the original guitar part tempo wise but picking and singing is a big ask ! One day maybe. :sunglasses:

@TheCluelessLuthier Mark glad you enjoyed it sir ! A belated happy birthday. :sunglasses:

@roger_holland Yes I find strangling the audience is an effective way of silencing the critics ! :rofl: I hope thereā€™s no lasting damage. Maybe Iā€™ll do a cover of the old nursery rhyme Simple Simon, so you can save those initial thoughts for another day ! You exceeded your emoji quota but thanks for the kind words ! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Great performance Toby! :clap::clap::clap: I didnā€™t know this song before and I enjoyed it a lot :blush::star_struck::star_struck:

Catching up on a few missed postings with this on the list. Certainly glad Iā€™d teed it up to watch, that was a superb performance Toby. The balance youā€™ve got between vocals and guitar is perfect, you need to somehow mark that mic positioning, itā€™s spot on!!
Lovely vocals youā€™ve put out on this one too, right in your sweet spot it felt like. Bravo! :+1: :clap:

1 Like

Well I reckon all the practice has paid off because you looked (and sounded) very comfortable moving around the fretboard on that Intro Toby. Everything else sounded very relaxed and a great song to boot. They were long before me (I was 7 when the crash happened) so it was nice to read your story and then look at the background to the band and what happened.

1 Like

@SILVIA Thank you Silvia. Always good to bring new music or new bands to the Community, even if it was from half a decade ago ! Glad you enjoyed it. :sunglasses:

@Notter Cheers Mark, that balance was more luck than judgement, as I tried to keep the boom and mic out of the main camera shot and just tilted it back so it was facing down towards the guitar. For a change no scientific mixing and balancing demo runs before hitting the button. Thanks for the nod on the vocals. Capo on the 3rd seemed to work (2nd as well) but the original is a half step down and I couldnā€™t be arsed to retune and reckon I could have done that at a stretch. So another to be added to the ā€œnext timeā€ list ! Thx. :sunglasses:

@Rossco01 Jason that introā€™s a good one when it goes right and a lot easier to play than a round of picked chords ! And yes a great song from the first album. Nice for us oldies to be able to educate the youngsters and bring some classics here, from back in the day ! Going even further back for the next OM but way different form this though. :wink:

2 Likes

Fantastic, it has to be your best yet. Capo and voice seemed fine to me. Loved the backstory as well.

1 Like

Great song Toby and played and sung fantastically and really expressively. You must have a great little studio there! I only have a guitar an amp, no mic and a phone against a coffee cup so I was lost with your explanations of condensers, gtr balance, Xenyx, OBS, PlayAcoustic and ReaLimit. Sounds like a lot of fun and made me start to think about a future production hobby too.

1 Like

Nothing like an emotional connection to give a performance the feelsā¤ļø Well done, Toby.

1 Like

Toby,
Over the years this is one of the best to me, from this band. You did it justice in my book and it was a great listen. Great job, growth, play, vox and I hope to get to this level of guitar play at some point!

All the best to you folks on your end,
LB

Man its just a few cowboy chords and some words that got stuck in my head 50 years ago !
Thanks for the listen LB and I think your playing is well up to something like this for sure.
:sunglasses:

Your too kind Tobyā€¦ My struggle is still with strumming. If I can put that to bed, then I think my playing will take a big leap up the ladder!

All the best mate,
LB

1 Like

Hi Toby, I only can confirm this! This week was busy, so I didnā€™t get the time earlier to send a few lines. I was blown away, that was simply outstanding! I donā€™t care about all the tecnical stuff. It was you, a beautiful voice, matching really good with the song and not to forget, you, playing so good on an acoustic. I think, this was one of your best perfomances Iā€™ve seen so far :cowboy_hat_face:. Thanks for sharing. Good start into sunday morning with a cup of coffee :+1: :grinning:

1 Like

Aw Andrea that made my miserable damp dreary soggy Normandie morning so much brighter. Thank you so much for your kind words. Its good to bash something out on the acoustic now and then, as they get a little neglected. Who knows, there could be more to come :shushing_face:

1 Like

Yes, please!! :joy:

1 Like

Hi Toby,

Great to hear this song - canā€™t remember the last time I heard it - but it was definitely after 1977. :slight_smile:

Great job on the vocal.
I think your performance is a reminder you donā€™t need much to make music; a voice and a guitar and youā€™re on your way.

Tune!

Digger

2 Likes