The Man Who Sold the World by Nirvana Lesson

Learn to play The Man Who Sold the World by Nirvana on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at The Man Who Sold the World by Nirvana | JustinGuitar

1 Like

"This is a David Bowie song :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hello @sgt_smokey welcome to the Community.
Indeed. As Kurt Cobain says on the Unplugged. :+1:

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

1 Like

As does Justin on the lesson …

1 Like

Yeah I know lol, I was referencing Kurt. Was wondering if anyone else does the same lol fail i guess haha. thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:

Hi everybody,

I love this song and trying to get it in my repertoire, but I find the flick off in the opening riff pretty difficult and I never really fell satisfied with the sound. I don’t really have this problem with other songs with flick offs, but they are generally on an open string. Is there anything special to pay attention to here?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Sorry, I wasn’t clear here which flick off I meant, as there are two in the intro riff. I meant the first one on the 3rd fret of the 3rd string; it follows a hammer on.

Hello Cammothus,
I am currently also tackling this song, and I have no problem with the flick off in the opening riff, except if I try to include the A, Dm and F chords in that riff. There my fingers have some trouble to hit the right strings each time, especially with the F chord I still need a lot of practice to make it sound acceptable. One of the reasons is that (I’m actually not sure of this, but I wish to think it is) because the standard flick off and hammer on I practice on a daily basis probably already for over a year or so, Justin once showed this exercise in a video and I’ve put it in my own practice schedule. I now include this riff in a daily session, and each time my fingers are all sore. Now and then I need to slow down too, as I am afraid of making mistakes when I go to fast. For my fingers it’s a tough few minutes practice each time :wink:. Saw that you were at this point a few months back, so I hope for you you conquered the song already? Kind regards,

Hi Narjuna,

thanks for getting back to me! Yeah, with time and practice it got better somehow (still struggling with that flick off with the pinky though, not my strong suit :slight_smile: ). I took a break from it and came back to work on trying to sing and do the chords on the chorus at the same time…plenty to keep me busy. Take care and see you around,

So happy to see this song on the site. One of my favorite Nirvana tracks from Unplugged for sure. Noob question but the tab page mentions to tune down to E flat to play along with the record. Is Justin tuned down in this video? When I attempt to follow along, it just sounds off. If Justin is also tuned down a half step, and I am playing the right notes, I’m wondering what else could be off? Thanks!

1 Like