The Marshmallow Test

That was really good James and a great take on it but that poor kid at the end crying. I felt really sad for him. Iā€™m glad the marshmallow cheered him up.

2 Likes

Science has proved to be wrong frequently over the years - Iā€™m not necessarily saying whether I think itā€™s right or wrong on this point (about what Bruce Lipton said) but thereā€™s been a lot of science done over the years that have employed dodgy methodologies and have become accepted as fact

2 Likes

Science is not knowledge or ā€˜factā€™.
It is the attempt to acquire knowledge using reproducible tests.
Only science can prove something is right or wrong.
Most of what we believe to be ā€˜trueā€™ today, will be replaced by better models in the future.

3 Likes

Magic isnā€™t supposed to be mean and make little kids cry! Also, I wonder how they did that??

Who knew marshmallows could cause such a discussion? Some very interesting comments / references, Iā€™ll check some of them out. After I finish my marshmallows :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is the real beauty of science!

Which is why, in areas I have no expertise I tend to side with the generally accepted scientific view.

I also keep in my that scientific theories range from being proven true, to needs more study, to disproven.

1 Like

Lol! Funny!

1 Like

The point that I was making is that thereā€™s a lot of science that is little more than another system of belief but as in this conversation it was being used as a means of discrediting something else even though science itself has repeatedly been shown as less than reliable. The question was around the influence of genes on who we are; thereā€™s no science experiment that can prove that, thereā€™s too many variables

1 Like

I fully agree that scientists may never be able to understand why people do what they do.

2 Likes