The Perfect Octave Interval

In this lesson, we learn to hear, sing and play The Perfect 8ve (Octave) Interval.

View the full lesson at The Perfect Octave Interval | JustinGuitar

The opening of Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix is good for hearing the octave both up and down. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @charlietwell and welcome to the Community.
Good spot on those octaves.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

Hi there,
Is David Bowie’s Starman a perfect octave - right at the chorus when he sings “Staar…maaaan” ?

“I am going to have to put my legs together to sing that one…” :crazy_face::rofl::hugs:

If you play a perfect 4th followed by a perfect 5th and then a perfect octave from the same fret you can make some decent licks up and use them for practice.

You’re playing 3 of the 5 notes in the minor pentatonic scale thats why the sound good together.

So as long as a finger plays or crosses the B string, I always forward it 1 fret? am I right? Also does playing the root note in the first string matters? Just wondering how it’ll look like to play any perfect interval with the root note in the first string/thinnest.

Yeah, the b string is offset by one fret (or semitone)

You could have a look at Justin’s note finder app. It’s good for learning the note positions and relative shapes and patterns between them.

There is also an app specifically for learning the intervals too.

I think yes

Thank you Davide :slight_smile:

Thanks for the great lessons, really good stuff! :slight_smile:
It would’ve been a nice addition to mention for beginners like myself: double check your guitar tuning and intonation before working on any of this. I’m not sure if Justin mentioned it somewhere, but IMHO it is worth stressing it through the course.

Grade 1 Module 0 Lesson 1

As Justin says Don’t start playing if you don’t know how to tune your guitar!

Welcome to the Community.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you, sir!
Indeed, I forgot about that one. I believe intonation was not mentioned, though, I think it is worth mentioning it, specially for absolute beginners. I bought my guitar recently and took for granted that it would be well adjusted, but after a few days I realized it was almost 20 cents sharp already at the first fret, 12th fret was even worse. I took it to the luthier, he replaced the strings, lowered the nut, adjusted the bridge and the neck, now it is perfect. If I didn’t have a fairly decent ear already it could’ve gone unnoticed.

Its been a long long time but I am sure Justin makes the suggestion of getting a proper set up done when first starting out and that would cover intonation, as you have discovered. Pretty much all the guitars I have bought have needed a good set up and have all been better for having it done, both in tone and playability.
:sunglasses: