The 'Push' Technique

This strumming technique changes the feel of the music, and it’s super common in songs! Learn more.

1 Like

Another song with a wonderful push rhythm is My Sweet Lord by George Harrison :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s another good one

I like to indicate pushed chords with a “<” prefix in my lead sheets.

1 Like

Under the Milky Way, by The Church, is a beautiful Australian classic.

4 Likes

Hello Myfanwy and a very, very, very warm welcome to the community.
I make the case for welcoming you so warmly as you have name-checked The Church. One of my favourite bands. I have trumpeted their brilliance over many years in the community and especially in the old forum before we migrated to here.
:hugs: :smiley:

Under The Milky Way is also a classic case of having two guitars play together when one has a capo. https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/a-capo-for-two-jamming-for-beginners-bg-1505

2 Likes

This was amazing. I’ve never heard Under the milky way before and loved learning it. Thanks both @Nanw03 and @Richard_close2u

1 Like

Thank you @Nanw03 @Richard_close2u for mentioning “Under the Milky Way” a song, that I had on my “before guitar time” playlist for years and really love. It’s such a beautiful song. Didn’t have it on my list to learn yet, but will add it (list is growing and growing :wink:).

2 Likes

For what it’s worth lesson doesn’t appear to mention and push. did I miss something?

1 Like

I belong to the group of people on this site who have been playing on and off for a while but decided to take it a bit more seriously by working through Justin’s lessons. Interestingly a push is something I have done naturally without even thinking about. The way I always did it was to play open strings on the fourth down, followed by an up strum on the new chord so it is good to learn this alternative way of pushing.

I actually feel like I might use the push technique on too many songs (i.e. songs that don’t have a push). I do it for parts of Love me Do, the chorus of American Pie and Nirvana’s About a Girl where the new technique makes it sounds a lot better.

Also a thumbs up on the Church – great band!

1 Like

Good to have this list of songs - thanks.
Another two songs with Pushes are:
Sitting on the Dock of a Bay (in Justin’s lesson on this, its a 4:50minutes) and
Coldplay’s Viva la Vida (Justin does a fingerpluck version at 5:15minutes but you can do a strum version also). https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/coldplay-viva-la-vida-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-st-813

1 Like