The road to 'Freight Train' Joe Robinson techniques - last road to added

Like the work you’ve got going on there Rogier, the days of hard practice are showing very sweet sounding fruit. There’s something in the JGC water at the moment with a few postings of “shorts” from members, it’s quite inspiring to see!

Look forward to the next progress update on your techniques here, bravo!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

That really was a great Freight Train, Rogier! :steam_locomotive: :railway_car: :railway_car: :railway_car: :railway_car: :railway_car:
I’ve enjoyed the ride a lot. :railway_track:

Very well played. :+1:
Thank you for sharing your great progress :grinning:

3 Likes

Here’s a nice video of the song. If I recall correctly she was left-handed so flipped the guitar.

5 Likes

Roger, you’re on the way! Sounding good so far. You mentioned you’ve listened to this song and have it in your head. That’s what I do when working on a project. It seems to help when actually working the song out on the guitar. Looking forward to the conclusion of this project.

1 Like

Sounded good. Nice study path too. Well done!

1 Like

Sounding pretty sweet Rogier and a really nice treat for my ears.

1 Like

Hello Everybody,
Thank you so much for the listening an d the comments ,The prompts help for step 4, which I’m about to start and even if it’s just adding a few notes (as Joe says), that sounds really cool and I’m curious how long it will take for hours to get those “few” notes in between, I’m afraid for the C but just go barr for barr and in a momenthour start (saw it was very busy last weekend) …and James afterwards I had heard that version before (and last week for the 2nd time) amazing how that beautiful old woman plays, fascinating to watch … for me personally with I thought this song’s vocals were a bit too fragile…but definitely worth listening to more than once :sunglasses:

Greetings and I will continue to practice with you in mind, calmly and with passion :sunglasses: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi Rogier, I’m pretty late, but better late than never! Congrats on your achievements so far, it already sounds very nice to my ears! :blush: Ha, when I read the title of Joe’s Lesson: “Easy Fingerstyle Lesson”… :joy:. As always: good practice will lead to sucess and you are definitely on the right track with your Fright Train journey :hugs:!

1 Like

Hi Andrea,
You’re not too late (it’s only just been posted ,and not started with sectioni 4 :sweat_smile:) and the next video isn’t available for a while…I guess…and so I think I’ll keep the thread alive for a while, that’s why I don’t try to respond to everyone individually in order to for a longer period of time, usually having much fun chatting with everyone… something with action and reaction…and before I know it there are 100+ messages from me :innocent: and everyone misses the rest of the videos… but what I really want to say

(no no nn not again)

we reserve a special place in hell for every teacher who says this :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Greetings and thanks :sunglasses:

1 Like

For anyone who follows the tab of the first PDF step 4 (played at 24:35 lesson video),

Joe says at the end of this short piece that he/it follows the tab pretty exactly (so not exactly :wink:) and so before the end of each chord for the last bass there is a added note, which makes the whole thing “roll” just a little bit better so look out for that.
the first 2 chords Am Em after yesterday practicing well this morning. then I just watched the video part of this to check myself watched that 10 minutes ago before typing this ,but “solved” almost directly :sweat_smile: :sunglasses:

The rest other 3 are in the head ,now send it to the vingers …

1 Like

Hello people,

Well, it took a while, but I recorded the last exercise for “freight train” … in 9 attempts it became this one (7, 8 or 9th) … With a blindfold on, I don’t understand why it is more difficult :upside_down_face:

That laugh/grin at the end is because of you James … because I didn’t look finally at the D minor (that’s why I needed 7 tries, otherwise it always goes well in once or three… no idea why it remains so difficult with that Dm :confounded: certainly not the lack of practice ) …

I took some break with this after practiced it for a long time, but that moving thumb seemed like a very good exercise for the Blues things that are about to happen, so the pressure of recording really helps me to do my best+++

The first 2 chords are to easily show the difference between exercise three and the last exercise…

It’s funny that if I play this for too long/too often on one day I just get some hip pain from moving around a lot…that tune makes me so happy…I’m still holding back on this video :see_no_evil:

Ps:The door is open and my wife says “I clearly hears the young great tits in the background” ( she is at her work…I just hear more of them apparently when I play it on the pc and hear them live :grin:

Greetings ,Rogier

No idea how to adjust the header title… Just call @DavidP or @Richard_close2u ? Would you mind adding…“last road to added”

11 Likes

Great tits. Yes, I can also clearly hear them in the background :sunglasses:

I played your video, I don’t know how many times now, and I can’t get over the train whistle sound. First I thought I had imagined it, but no I haven’t.

Your first take was good. This one is better. But please don’t hurt yourself :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sounding good Roger, well worth the wait !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Is that what you wanted Roger

PS will listen later

1 Like

Hi David ,

Yes I think it good ,or you need to know a better solution/addition go wild :grin:(with date or something) first time with me and with others I often miss the additions… Iam happy if you are :joy:

Hi Nicole @NicoleKKB (Edit: Wrong Nicole I see here now after 2 days :joy: @JokuMuu not my first wrong @ and certainly not my last :grin:. Someone called AtBrian and not BrianL also gets a lot of messages :see_no_evil: )
:joy:
That is very nice to say,glad you liked it and thanks for dropping by,
The pain has now come, not from playing today, but for the 2nd time since I lived here (9 years) I just drove 10 minutes to the supermarket, but those road workers in Nijkerk have to shoot them down…uh figuratively of course ,not literally :laughing:

Thanks Toby @TheMadman_tobyjenner

1st project down, still some Blim stuff to go for video, but vacation time is here and banging on the door…Ooooo :see_no_evil:

Greetings and enjoy the day to the max I start good and end beter …well at least late ,unfortunately and not with the Q&A today :grimacing:

3 Likes

Hi Rogier,

that was well done on that one! Not too far from playing Freight Train then! :smiley:

That busy thumb is a great thing to exercise and probably also will be used in some of you upcoming BLIM-lessons? So you are well prepared already. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Lisa @Lisa_S
I hope you’re right, I haven’t practiced a note of that freight train yet :smile:

:laughing:
I hope so yes…

Greetings and have a nice day ,i am going to the terrace in 15 minutes :smiley: :sunflower:

1 Like

Well someone’s been busy making lots of progress :smiley: sounding really good Rogier.

I’m sure someone said something similar during @brianlarsen Rocky Horror Picture Show performance on one of the live streams.

2 Likes

I prefer not to improvise myself, so if you happy then I am also.

Enjoyed the recordings, sounds great. The thumb-finger independence seems to be progressing well.

1 Like

Hi James @Socio and David @DavidP
Thank you and yes I’m happy with the progress, Gee, I just watched the first video…looking at your hands like that doesn’t look good…I only now completely understand what you were referring to James…

And what you’re referring to here…

:speak_no_evil: :rofl: :joy: The first time I typed about these birds months ago, I checked 3 times to make sure Google wasn’t playing a bad joke on me …again :grimacing:… and I wanted to tell Nicole @JokuMuu that if it were said the other way around ( yes yes on the edge, young lady, I thought so :thinking: :joy:) I would be flagged… of course we Dutch also have many words with double meanings…but this one ???
Weird guys, those Romans…English

Of course I would never have dared to say this if BrianL had been a mod with those powers…Ooooo :laughing:

Greetings and thanks for the comments :sunglasses:

3 Likes