The Road To…

I was driving this afternoon when I heard a song that I haven’t heard played on the radio for years. Chris Rea’s Road To Hell. It’s a great song and the guitar solo is fantastic!
I put it on the song request board a couple of years ago. Just had a look and it now has…wait for it…2 votes!

Really??
Only two votes!!

If ever there was a guitar solo I want to play - it’s THAT one!! :guitar:

6 Likes

I love when he plays it live

1 Like

It now has 3 votes :smile:

1 Like

Now it has 4!

1 Like

Vote 5 from my side. I love Chris Rea!

1 Like

@MacOneill
Hi Deborah

Yeah, the live version of parts 1 and 2 is great.
The eerie start and the slow build up of part 1 into the main part 2 and THAT solo and then the long, dramatic ending. Love it ! Real live band stuff!!

@Nancy15 @DarrellW @Helen0609
I keep pressing the button but it won’t let me vote again. :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve just voted for it too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Had a look at the chords on UG and very doable for Grade 3.
There was a time when you bought CD’s and I bought all of his, really liked his music so will get my vote.
Michael

1 Like

I still do!! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ian @theoldman66
Really!!!
Mine are in the house somewhere, but the only thing I could play them on is laptop. Transferred them all into iTunes and then my iPod.
Still got tapes and vinyl, but nothing to play them on either.
Michael

@MAT1953
It’s in A minor and like you say, Michael, doable at a basic level.
I watched a tutorial on the tube a while back and it looked okay. But the solos…!! Seem to be slide guitar and not standard tuning and and and……and it will take me years, and then some!
It’s an all time favourite of mine though so I have it down as a dreamer. :thought_balloon:

1 Like

David @BurnsRhythm
Yes the solos would be beyond me, but a good dreamer song.
Yes, key of Am, not clue what the chords in that key are without looking it up, I am not quite up to that point in the theory course.
He was born just down the road from me, in Middlesbrough and quite a few of his early songs relate to the area.

Michael

1 Like

@MAT1953
A minor is the relative minor of C Major, so basically the chords are the same as in the key of C but in a different order. The I IV V chords in A minor are Am Dm Em.
You’ll see from the UG tab that C F and G are also in the song. Em isn’t there but E major is! The theorists will tell you that E major is a “borrowed” chord. No need to worry about that, it just gives the song some spice.

My voice is similar to Chris Rea. Not true cos he can sing. :flushed: what I mean is “way down in the shadows” :smiley:

David @BurnsRhythm

I am on PMT Grade 5.2 and Justin introduces minor keys in 5.3 so nearly there. Had sneaky look and there are only five types of minor scales, UGH.

You mention singing, don’t think we should go around that loop again.

Michael

1 Like