The Stuck 3&4 Chords

WRT to missing the thick strings and/or muting with the ring finger…I was never able to get either of these techniques to work - despite weeks of trying.

For me, the answer was thumb muting (which is covered later in the course, IIRC). This has the added benefit of muting the E string for the A and D chords as well.

Something to consider if other approaches don’t work for you - though it took me weeks to make that shift as well.

2 Likes

This was a great lesson - easy to anchor the 3 & 4 fingers and make a couple small changes to get a bunch of different chords!!!

1 Like

Britt @t2wentyse7en
Welcome to the community. :grinning:
You are right they also make for easy changes especially if there is change half way through a bar.
Michael :guitar::notes:

1 Like

Hi Britt, welcome!
Indeed, they’re a great set of chords that’ll serve you really well!

1 Like

I’m finding near impossible to keep my 3rd and 4th fingers together, particularly when playing Em7. My fingertips are close together but my fingers lay splayed. And when trying to keep the 3rd away from the 2nd finger on the 3rd string, it keeps wanting to join them leasing to some very weird and sloppy finger positioning as I try to switch between other chords. Is it just the way my fingers are? My pinky is bent in a little to one side, at least it’s a difference I notice between the fingers of my strumming hand. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Like

Hi Danielle, I’ve not really observed it before but mine seem to do the same thing, see below. Does it affect the quality of your chords? If not then honestly I wouldn’t worry about it, the strength of anchoring fingers 3 and 4 will come with time so as long as the fretting works then I’d say roll with it. (Damn can I never avoid an Oasis reference in this thread? :joy:)

2 Likes

Hi, Notter! I really appreciated your response. Weirdly encouraging to see that someone else’s hand does the same thing, haha. I’d say it mostly works, sometimes my fourth slips but as you’ve said I suppose that I’ll come. I’ll keep on at it and try not to let preoccupation with my fingers prevent my progress. Thanks again! This has been hugely helpful. (Also, I wish I got your Oasis reference, lol, apart from Wonderwall I don’t know much of their work)

1 Like

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are folks aiming for a particular number of chord changes per minute or rpm of playing Wonderwall.

So far I’m three weeks in and finding it hard. Maybe the official way of putting it is that I do not have finger independence?! I’ve a non guitar related issue with the tendons in my hand so that my middle finger snaps to my ring finger - this has made playing the chords challenging and transitions very very slow.

Big G, Rock G, C add9, D sus4, the 3 finger variation of A7 sus4 and F6/9 are all fine after a lot of work. But then there is a sliding scale from “hhmmmm” to “urghhh” for the 4 finger version of A7 sus4, Em7 and then A add11/F#.

Think I’m just looking for some solidarity from anyone else that is struggling and take some strength from imagining others practicing at the same time. So, where are my people? Please say hello if you feel that you’ve taken your shoes off and had to make yourself comfortable for the long haul on this lesson.

2 Likes

I think the drone-like tone of these chords when played together is a feature that Justin points out when the introduces them. They certainly drone in Wonderwall… to great effect!

1 Like

I’m recording the number of changes to track trends and practice time, but am doing sort of a hybrid OMC/PFC sort of thing and don’t have a specific numeric goal for it (yet?).

I agree with you that Em7 and A7 sus4 are the hardest of the bunch - any of them that want your middle and ring finger on different frets! I’m juuuust starting to see a little bit of progress in keeping my ring finger planted closer to my pinky and third fret when I’m practicing songs with stuck 3/4 chords, but that’s been a few weeks in the making, with still a good ways to go.

So no, not just you - this is a challenging (and fun) module!

1 Like

I hear you - it’s the combination of different frets and sides of the guitar that seems to be my kryptonite. Glad to hear there is someone else settled in on this lesson too. We’ll get there. :grin:

1 Like

When I first watched this lesson, I was a bit lost. The note names confused me, and that made me have a difficult time understanding what was going on with the chords. This past week I spent time watching the first two lessons in your music theory course, and I came back to this video and it really surprised me how much I understand this lesson now.

If anyone is struggling with this, or even if you’re just not super familiar with music theory, go check out the first couple lessons! I promise you won’t regret it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community, Austin! I’ve had a similar experience as you. One of the great things about Justin’s offerings is that one can find answers to most things, for free, either on the site or in the community. See you around!

3 Likes

Nutshell by Alice in Chains is a really good practice for the first 4 chords.

1 Like

James @Jareyno
Welcome to the community :+1:
Michael

1 Like

Is there a reason for using the first finger on the second fret when playing the Dsus4 (or A7 sus 4 variation)?

I find myself using my second finger on the second fret instead, particularly if moving to an Em next? I guess it doesn’t matter as long as it works, was just wondering whether the 1st finger is better in any situation.

1 Like

The only draw back I could see Sajid is if you were going to a F6/9 chord where you would just be planting your send finger on the third fret of the fourth string but if it works for you then stick with it.

1 Like

Yeah, because moving between D and Dsus4 is super common, and that is how D is fingered.

2 Likes

Hey everyone! I’m happy to be here. I’ve been practicing the stuck chords for like a month and am not making much progress. I don’t know why I’m struggling with them so much. Most of the chords I’m getting better at, but for some reason, I’m still really struggling with the Cadd9 chord. No matter how much I practice it, the chord won’t ring out clearly, and I’m still blocking some strings. I’m finding that I have to press down really hard in order to attempt a sound. Is anyone else really struggling with this chord or is it just me? I would love some advice. :slight_smile:

1 Like