The Stuck 3&4 Chords

Hi Lewis, from what I recall no, at that point Justin’s stopped recommending OMC change targets and starting to encourage you to identify your own things to focus on. Having said that, the stuck 3&4 is cheating a little for OMC as you’ve got such a strong anchor so only having to shift 2 fingers in a pretty small area.

FWIW if you like to have - target I’d aim higher than 30, but honestly I think you’d be better served to just learn some stuck 3&4 songs, it’ll be more fun and more practical! Either way, have fun with them, I think they’re ace!

3 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m in. Seems like the folkie’s i know keep their hands in this “shape”. It is a little of a “start over” moment. I have been baring the first and second strings at the third fret with my pinky. May not completely stop that “style” but I see how it might limit fluid choices to not have both (the bar i mentioned and the two finger voice from the lesson).
“Talkin’ 'bout a Revolution” by Tracy Chapman may be a song for this lesson - G Cadd9 Em7 D Dsus4 D.

1 Like

I been practicing these chords for 10 days now and im having a ton of trouble keeping fingers 3 and 4 on position, specially playing during songs and doing chords changes, finger 3 keeps moving away from 4 and for whatever reasonn they tennd to float over the string instead of pressing down when i need them to.

So i have come up with this dumb idea to see if i can get finngers 3 and 4 to stop moving away and get used to stick together

I dont know if it will help or not but i figure that it will help fingers 3 and 4 to get use to sticking together instead of sliding apart.

3 Likes

Just don’t use super glue. Anything else is worth trying.

2 Likes

@mysticole928
Hello Stephen and welcome to the Community. Thanks for using Justin’s lessons and subscribing to the App.

It is long simply because it introduces a number of related chords.
You have the best notion of using App and website to see if there is more written content.
Justin does write on the web page:

He knows it is a lot and does not lay down an expectation to learn all of the chords all at once.

If you know any songs at all that use G, C, Em, D or A then you can immediately try these stuck 3&4 variations as substitues for those open position beginner chords. Some may sound great, some might not work, depending on the song you try.
That approach does at least give you an immediate start to using them.

G, C, D and Em are very common chords that work together (they are all in the same key).
On the website Songs page here, there are 32 song lessons if you filter by those chords.

On the App, applying the same filter using G, C, D and Em gives 216 songs.
Each and every one of those could be played using the Stuck 3&4 versions.

Which progressions? The progressions you need are the ones that get used in songs so just play some songs.
I hope that helps.
Cheers
Richard
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I am also interested in the answer to this question. I’m using the app to practice and it suggests normal chords for some of the wonderwall chords. However, in Justin’s full song video explanation, he uses stuck 3&4 chords throughout (along with a capo). Am I taking a shortcut by using the stuck 3&4 chords throughout? I would like to comply with the lesson advice.

Hello Brendan and welcome to our community. :slight_smile: Why don’t you pop over here and tell us a bit about yourself?

The chords are interchangeable but for Wonderwall it is just the stuck 3/4 chords.

@dafowler06 Not sure if your question got answered but with Every rose has it’s thorn it is mostly stuck chords but there are a couple of times in that song where I do play an open C and G chord.

At their core basics, the five main stuck 3&4 chords used mostly are no more than G, C, D, A and Em.
At any point, in any song, at any time - when you see G, C, D, A or Em you can play just a simple open chord beginner finger shape or you can try to use a stuck 3&4 variation of those chords. If it sounds good then hooray - it is good. If a stuck 3&4 chord doesn’t seem to work and doesn’t sound quite right in that context then choose to use the basic open chord instead. there really is no right or wrong here.
Some songs definitely use stuck 3&4 in their originally recorded versions. Wonderwall is an example of this.

Another invitation to the mini bar ? :wink:

1 Like

Is there a word (chord) missing here? Seems like there should be?

1 Like

I believe “this” is referring to the Dadd11/F#. As in "Moving between the Emin7 and Dadd11/F# is a great …

3 Likes

Makes sense when you say it like that. Thanks.

1 Like

I quite enjoyed the stuck 3/4 chords can stumble through wonderwall but not a fan of oasis can also so make quite a good job of free falling quite like tom petty.

3 Likes

I’ve collaged them to help me with the main stuck 3&4 chords, hope it can help someone else as well.

7 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to do this, Fabio @AcidSeth! I find it much easier to memorize the chords when they are presented this layout.

3 Likes

No problem! Keep in mind I have the “Rock G” and the “A7 sus4 variation”.

I have also made this printable cheatsheet that includes the Emin Pentatonic and Notes in Open Position tabs.

4 Likes

Love the lesson! I think is my favorite one! But I have a doubt, I learned wonderwall full song right now (it took me like 3 weeks to learn the full song), So I can play it, but its not like perfect, I feel that I need to practice more. Do I continue practice over and over this song to perfect the chords, or I keep continue with the following lessons?

1 Like

Has anyone noticed that the sound for this module on the 10 min. practice video for the songs is MISSING?

I thought it was my computer but the sound for the entire 10 min. video for "Every Rose Has It’s Thorn, Wonderwall and entire video is missing sound? Bummer as this is where we start to up the ante.

Is the sound missing for anyone else? My sound is working otherwise except for this video so far.

1 Like

@mayabossa it is a well documented issue with no resolution pending unfortunately.