The Thrill is Gone -intro solo

This is as per Justin’s lesson with the exception that bar 6 uses fret 10,11,12 which is way easier than Justin’s massive bends!

I’ve been working a way at it for a while. I’m not sure what to think of it. Feels like it is getting there but might take a long time to finish. Question is, is getting it much better a much more advanced skill than I currently have & I should come back to it or is it worth just continuing to hammer away at it?

All constructive criticism welcome.

13 Likes

Well I liked that. I think your at a higher level than me but you seemed to be in time with the track and it was clearly recognisable, liked the bends too.

1 Like

Not bad at all, very respectable go at it - well on the way to it being great!

1 Like

I think you are pretty much there Leon, my opinion is that if you step back you won’t ever develop, you need to keep challenging yourself in order to improve. If the song or intro only is still motivating you to keep pushing I would stick with it.

A challenge is also to establish is song is beyond your reach at the time being or not. I feel you are there by the sound of it, the more you gonna practice the better you will become and those techniques will pay dividends if you learn other songs that implement those.

Just dedicate some time during your daily practice to do just bends and vibratos, like for 5 to 10 mins a day. Your dexterity and strength will improve and you will be thinking less about hitting the note while bending and start focusing on little accents. Well done overall!

1 Like

I am learning to play this solo too, and have been at it a little while. It’s a little beyond my level, I’m still at grade 3, but I am loving it.

Your playing was great, and the sound is really good too.

1 Like

Your playing is smooth, you keep the rhythm and most of the notes sound good Leon. There is no doubt in my mind that you are progressing. Isolate the sections that you know aren’t quite there, and give them some extra love.

1 Like

Good work Leon. You’ve got the rhythm down well, and you’ve got the notes. Just keep goin mate, work on the bends a bit, and you’re almost there.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Sounding good, Leon. I agree with all the other comments made.

I’d say if you are still enjoying it and feel that there are still bits that you’d like to improve then keep working it. On the other hand, if you have been playing it for a while and feel stale, then find another solo to learn as a vehicle to continue improving the technique.

And based on what I see, I’d suggest working on the ‘massive bends’. Even if it takes a while to be able to play it that way it will continue to help you develop technique.

1 Like

Sounded really good to me Leon. I can’t offer technical advice as it’s beyond me but I loved the feel.

1 Like

Great stuff Leon. As you know, this song is close to my heart at the moment. You’re well on the way to nailing BB’s solo. I enjoyed that, well done.

As for sticking with the same song until it’s ‘perfect’, I can of course only speak for myself. I move on all the time to something else. I’ll regularly return to things but of course will never achieve the level I could have been at if I’d stuck exclusively to a certain song.
Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mean I jump around without ever learning a certain technique and I hope I’m progressing. It’s just I’d get bored if I repeated and repeated something ad infinitum.

1 Like

Sounding good to me Leon :sunglasses:
I find that if I learn something and leave it alone, even for a long time, when I come back to it, it doesn’t take long to get back to the point I was at, but it’s often easier to progress from there :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Leon,
You’ve already received all the tips…

Nice to hear the base is good :sunglasses: :clap:…now build up slowly,perfecting note by note…
Greetings Rogier

1 Like

Appreciate all the comments and the listen, thanks everyone.

I’m still very motivated to practice this piece, it’s a beautiful solo and I’m keen to improve my bending and vibrato technique. I’ll do as some of you suggested and maybe for 5 and 10 mins a day work on the sections where I am obviously weak. Think I’ll also attempt my own backing track to add a bit of variety. Thankyou!

2 Likes