Thejoechoi - February 2022 - The Beatles, Romanian song, Somewhere Over The Rainbow progress, John Lennon

Joe,
Great job, enjoyed the spin and hope to hear more down the road. Liked the little solos!

Keep rock’n,
LB

1 Like

Excellent stuff Joe.

That looked like a really hard one to play. Like you said, you were all over the fretboard, so Bravo!

The answer was it’s just an F minor with a moving bass. She pointed out how the two top notes stay the same and the bass walks down until it lands on the Bb minor with the riff.

That description from your teacher fits in with seeing the first two bars as being a tonic F minor chord with melodic movement. Because the melodic movement follows a chromatic descending ‘line cliche’ in the bass, I do see the F minor changing in type as named above.
But hey, it’s all just overlaying analysis to something Paul McCartney played because it ‘sounded good’ I guess.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

@Thejoechoi your post on my cover reminded me to comment on this because I’d forgotten even after listening a few times!
Firstly, the guitar work was awesome. Really enjoyed it. I wish I could confidently move around the neck like this with unusual finger placement, seriously impressive.
I thought the vocal was great in the verses but just seemed to struggle with the “I love you…” section and I think this might be because of the technicality of the playing. Difficult to focus on a tough vocal like that when you’re playing complex stuff so well!
Overall, I really enjoyed this and look forward to seeing further progress if you’re going to keep practising this one.
Your guitar looks sweet as well, I want it! :heart_eyes:

I noticed we have an international crowd here. So I decided to mix it up this week! Are there any Romanian speakers here?

Revisited this one from 2006 – before I ever stumbled across Justin. I was a volunteer in Moldova and we had a ceremony. I had to learn this song. The ceremony was in a huge auditorium. Probably 200+ seats and it was packed. Ambassadors from both countries were there. I hadn’t been playing guitar very long and didn’t know what I was really doing. I got the shakes so bad on stage. I could barely hold the pick. I don’t know how I got through it. But they played it on the radio in the country the very next day and I heard it! Haha.

This was fun to do. Might try another foreign song at some point.

Also I use a Justin Sandercoe trick for this song. Can you guess what it is?

Translated lyrics:

How long we live on this earth
We have another holy thing,
A plain, a native village
A bell tower on the hill.

As long as we have a holy land,
And a panpipe singing,
How alive our parents are
There is something holy.

How much pain will spring to us,
Or a disappearing song,
How much more sacred we have
We will live on this earth.

How we miss the forests
We still have a future
How much we remember him in the past
There are other holy things.

As the Star rises,
And it’s a holiday in heaven,
And there is peace on earth,
There is something holy.

Or a disappearing song,

How far we have a village
And a word that has no death
Whose father do you say,
There are other holy things.

Or a disappearing song,

5 Likes

What an impressive man you are Joe!

Ivan (SS7) might have been in your audience, wouldn’t that be a curious twist?

Great story matched by your playing and singing. Was this still fresh in your memory? I wonder what your next language will be?

I’m curious to know more about your volunteering if you’d care to share.

1 Like

Not a speaker, Joe, so no clue about the lyrics but I enjoy an acoustic folk song (sounds kind of like a folk song to me).

I like what @crocodile1 does when he shares a song with vocals in Russian, sharing a translation of the lyrics in the post. If you have time and inclination I loved to come back for a second listen while following the translated lyrics.

Your playing, singing, and all round tone are delightful.

1 Like

Very nice Joe, not a clue about the lyrics but Translate tells me the title is “How much we live on this earth” So I would guess that it’s either a traditional folk song or a song of worship, doesn’t matter either way you played and sang it well.

1 Like

Joe, Super Like from another international audience albeit not Romanian.(i speak Telugu an Indian language). I would like to compliment your singing and a great intro riff. Plz post translation in English if you ever get a chance, i would also like to give a try playing the riff and chords you used…i guess the strumming pattern you used is D D UDUD D ? Thanks

1 Like

Interesting song choice Joe, wow singing in another language is another level of a ball game to me! Can you speak Romanian language at all? If you can then don’t get me wrong it’s still impressive, but if you can’t it’s even more impressive! To learn lyrics of song in language I don’t know - that would take me ages!

1 Like

Same here, no clue about the lyrics but it sounded good.

1 Like

You have such talent Joe. Whatever the lyrics, I get the feeling it’s sentimental. Now you are inspiring me to learn how to play a favorite of mine - JERUSALEMA - which is sung in Zulu. Thanks for the performance.

2 Likes

Sounded good Joe. No idea what the lyrics meant, but I liked the song!

How about Hava Nagila?

1 Like

The first two verses and chorus I recall quite well. The song was finger picked. I don’t know if I can sing and do it though.

I can message you about the volunteering stuff. Keep this guitar-related.

1 Like

I don’t know why I didn’t think of sharing the lyrics in the post. Edited to include.

Russian is actually my best foreign language. I might try a song at some point.

1 Like

I posted the translated lyrics and I guess it is religious. I thought it was more traditional folk all these years.

I just included a translation of the lyrics in the post.
Chords to the verse: Amin Bmin Dmin Amin
Chords to chorus: F C Dmin C (the first time) F C Dmin Amin (second time when it repeats)

I don’t really pay attention to strumming patterns. Just try to stay in time with the tempo I establish at the start.

This is the intro riff. It’s just based on minor triad shapes. All 8th notes (1+2+3+4+) Amin second inversion. Amin first inversion. Dmin root position. Amin first inversion. I just made it up. You can pretty much do whatever you want :grinning:

1 Like

I know some basic Romanian so it wasn’t that much of a stretch.

1 Like

Yes, thankyou I’d like that.