Third Original - Hold On

I steal :rofl:

2 Likes

@Alan_1970
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Alan. Iā€™m pleased to hear that you thought the song was top notch.

@SILVIA
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Silvia. Iā€™m pleased to hear that you thought the song was beautiful, that means a lot to me particularly given the subject of the song.

@roger_holland
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Rogier. The plan is to go back over the originals that get positive feedback (i.e. the ones that show potential) from the community later on as I have developed further in my guitar playing and take them up a level.

@brianlarsen
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Brian. Yes, there is that different dimension of satisfaction creating something in your head and seeing it come to life. It also feels like Iā€™m sharing a part of myself with the community. Cheers for the extra kudos on how I tackled the subject in the song. The one Iā€™ve got in my head at the moment is a bit more upbeat :roll_eyes: Though I may need a volunteer to listen to it advance of posting to the wider public in case I lose all my street cred :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks so much James for your suggestions and advice. Iā€™m going to aim to get a first attempt done by the end of the month, I may well take you up on your offer :+1:. Bit more daunting than an AVOYP cover!

1 Like

Iā€™ve kind of stolen the chord progression, or is that been ā€œinspiredā€ by one. Feels rude to nick a melody too :grin::wink::joy:

1 Like

Inspired by Ed Sheeran apparently depending on who you ask :wink:

1 Like

Very nice and catchy tune James.
I wouldnā€™t have guessed that this was an original. Quite impressive what some of you player/songwriters are coming up with around here :slight_smile: :clap:

1 Like

@Dro_1

Thanks for giving the tune a listen and taking the time to comment, Sandro. Yes, itā€™s a very creative community whether its songs or instrumentals.

Hi Socio,

I had a listen to the three originals. Well done, I think there is real potential in your songwriting, and I like the way you are using the lessons to try different things. It adds a bit of diversity to the songwriting.

I think I remember you saying that you have longer term ambitions of making an album. If thatā€™s the case, I think connecting with other musicians is going to be the key. Essentially what you have are three pretty good demos with the basic rhythm guitar part laid down. All three songs in my opinion would be lifted with some bass, drums, maybe a second guitar or keys. Just something to think about over the next few years while you are busy improving as a guitar player.

Finally, and I hope this isnā€™t offensive to the community, but I donā€™t think the community is a great place to get genuine feedback on original songs. Pretty much every original gets overwhelming positive feedback, no matter how good it is. Occasionally you might get someone talk about dynamics or give a hint about recording, but this place is a super supportive and positive place which is why we love it so much. If songwriting is something you want to seriously engage with further in the future, I think there is real value in getting genuine feedback, but it is probably not going to come from public posts on the forum. Again, no offense intended.

1 Like

Great job, having just written my first original I know how hard it is to write one. The recording sounds really good and I love the structure of the up tempo chorus. I look forward to seeing your work develop with more instruments added (drums, bass etc) although I still think they stand alone really nicely as just a solo guitar and vocalist. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Morse Moose (@MorseMooseGreyGoose),

Firstly thank you for taking the time to listen to my songs and comment. Iā€™m pleased to read that you can see potential in my song writing and appreciate how Iā€™ve been using the different aspects Iā€™ve learned through the lessons so far to consolidate what I have learned whilst adding some diversity to the songs.

Yes, the ambition is to have a bunch of songs that are decent to take forward and develop further as a band production (guitar, bass, drums, keys, solo). Albeit using software to generate some of the other instruments. Kind of a way of developing my musicianship with the output being an album as a keepsake of what I have achieved.

As you can appreciate Iā€™ve still got quite a few years of learning and the things that you listed to have a think about will definitely be going through my mind as I continue to progress with my learning. Connecting with other musicians is definitely something else that I should give some serious thought over.

Yes, I think youā€™re right that pretty much every original gets positive feedback and if I ever decide to take it more seriously then I would need to find other channels to get more ā€˜tell it like it is feedbackā€™ on the songs. Though, the feedback given by the community still gives a sense of which songs I wrote were better and has helped build confidence.

@CarlHackman

Thanks for giving my originals a listen and commenting, Carl. I checked out your original and really enjoyed it. I would like to get into a position in the next year or so of being able to develop the songs that I write with more instruments added including some lead guitar. Though, I do like solo guitar arrangements.

1 Like

Cracking song James. Have you found your muse? Three great original songs,

Lyrics where great and so was your guitar playing. I really liked how you lifted the mood of the song with the chorus. Great dynamics as well.

Bravo!

1 Like

@SgtColon

Thanks for the listen and feedback, Stefan. Yes, it does seem like Iā€™ve found my muse, though, it comes & goes as it pleases. So got to be quick to write it down before I forget it.

1 Like