This is good news for us oldies on here

Interesting read, I thought.

10 Likes
2 Likes

I wonder if having to play different types of guitar also has an increased effect, if so there may be some definite benefits of GAS.
Michael

2 Likes

No, you don’t have to wonder about that…this has been proven to be a fact that it is a positief effect …and if not, why would you take the risk? :joy:

3 Likes

There is a lot of good information regarding music and playing music and its benefits.

When people hear and play music, a remarkably large portion of the brain is used, or involved, when visualized on metabolic scans.

My personal opinion (clinical, not research neurologist) has two components.

One is that what makes our minds (and) strong is engagement, learning, joy and integrating brain learning with motor learning and physical tasks. (Leaving out diet, lack of stress, and so on). Music is pretty uniquely qualified to hit these targets, but is not the only way.

Second, music is really something built in and special to what we are. I am not sure why, but it is pretty clear that at least some aspect is a natural part of us that begs experience or involvement.

1 Like

That’s a pity, my mother has been playing the accordion for a little over 73 years, and she has a very fun, variable and busy life with it and she still has a clear mind… :sunglasses:
be careful what you deny yourself :wink:

Greetings

2 Likes

Hey Roger, not meaning to throw shade on your mother! More power to her.

1 Like

2 Likes

Th good thing about learning bagpipes is you sound no worse when you start as to when you are a virtuoso !!

As for leaning to play an instrument when old, anything that keeps you physically and mentally active I would assume would do the same

3 Likes

I will keep playing guitar even if it is good for me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My brother is learning bagpipes. Good thing he lives in a small cabin on the north coast of Latvia…

2 Likes

I once met the Grand Piper of the Grand Lodge of Scotland (Freemasons). He told me “a piper spends 90% of his time tuning his pipes, and 10% playing out-of-tune pipes.” :smile:

2 Likes

I was finishing a hike yesterday, and a guy was playing bagpipes on his deck near the trail head. Sent a huge flock of crows all up in a ruckus :laughing:

2 Likes

:rofl: