Good reason for learning to play Guitar (or any musical instrument)

I had this come up on my YT feed, as it’s a TED topic I figured that it had substance in it!
What do you think?

16 Likes

Thanks for that Darrell. I’ve always been concerned about the activity of my corpus callosum! :joy:

3 Likes

Nice video, thanks.

As a neurologist, this definitely factored in to my getting off my butt and starting to learn guitar. Of course the main reason is that I want to, but at now 57, I figure that it will only help me keep my faculties as the years pass.

When my patients ask what they can do to prevent Alzheimer’s and other dementias, or slow their relentless progress, I point them to music and learning (or returning to) an instrument.

I don’t think there is any clear science say that it actually make a difference. That is really hard to study, but it makes sense, much more sense than anything else we can do.

Besides, it will give us something wonderful to do in our doddering years.

Of course, to learn and benefit, you have to want to, otherwise it is hard to put in the effort just because the doctor told you to. Also, you have to still have capacity to learn. Alzheimer’s takes that quickly. Best to learn before and cement some skills into your deep memory so you can still use them as the capacity for new things wanes should you actually develop dementia

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing this, Darell, very interesting and a reason apart from joy for me to make music, to train my brain. Hope it’s an invest to train cognitive capabilities. Key word: Old dogs :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I think you’re confusing that with your corpus spongiosum, Gordon :wink:

Yes, folks… Brian is back :sunglasses: :smiley:

7 Likes

Help! Is this a threat? :rofl:

3 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:
Trust you!

2 Likes

@brianlarsen there’s a pill for that now.

4 Likes

Yes and a lorry load of them was hijacked recently. Police are on the lookout for a gang of hardened criminals.

4 Likes

D’oh! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I can only think about this since yesterday…

The Shining

1 Like

:rofl:

4 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :rofl:

Thanks for sharing, one of the main reasons I’m taking up guitar at 68, along with life long desire to play guitar!

1 Like

Makes me want to book a gig at the Stanley.

2 Likes