Three Little Birds - take 1

Well done Rebecca, breaking the ice is always nerve wracking but you done it in style! You should be proud of yourself for doing this!

1 Like

Bravo! I think I started to sing after 6 months of playing, so I’m impressed you started this early :clap: :clap: :clap: . Nothing more to add to the suggestions already made

Better the pick than the string :wink:

1 Like

Great first AVOYP Rebecca. Nice steady rhythm, good chord changes and you topped it off with singing. Well done!

1 Like

What ran through my head was "OMG my pick broke what do I do? And I heard Justin saying “keep the rhythm going!” So, I just angled my pick a little and powered through.

2 Likes

Hey great job on your video!

Make sure you keep an ear on that metronome though, as you tend to wander off while being very focused on singing and playing. Practice without singing now and then and listen to the blips.

btw, is it possible that the action (height of strings above the fretboard) is somewhat high on your guitar? It seems a bit high to me from tghe camera standpoint.

1 Like

Yeah, I am definitely still struggling with a consistent beat/strum, will just keep on practicing.

@rossbd @skinnyt Yeah, sometimes my wrist seems to have a mind of its own, I really need to concentrate a bit more on keeping it straighter. It doesn’t hurt so I don’t notice as much as I probably should.

@LievenDV Yeah that metronome isn’t quite driving me nuts, yet, but I’ll try it without the singing and see what happens. And it may be that my strings are a bit high, but there is no one where I live that I would trust with trying to adjust it so I may just have to watch more videos and figure out how to do it myself.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, as to my singing, it seems like I have to sing to be able to get the chords in the right spots. Maybe I just do things backwards? :rofl: It’s also possibly related to my years in choir and choral work in school.

3 Likes

Well done Rebecca, singing so early on is a real achievement! Just focus on timing to hit the strings as the beat goes and you have hit the homerun here! All the best

1 Like

If you can’t hear me, I’m applauding Rebecca :clap::clap::clap:. Well done you, for being vulnerable and posting a video. More courage than me. That was fabulous Rebecca!

Oh, and being one of the songs in my little resume, I decided to play it twice so I could play along with you. :parrot::parrot::parrot:

1 Like

Rebecca, great performance on your first video. If you got that on your first take then I am really impressed. It took me seven takes to get something I could listen too on my first video. And everyone is right. Singing and strumming and changing chords at the same time as keeping even with the beat is a real accomplishment. Bravo.

1 Like

Thanks. By first take I do mean first recording, I didn’t record others and pick the best, I just lucked out I didn’t screw it up. I had a lot of prior practice for a couple weeks at least, and a few play thrus that night before I hit record. Don’t mean to give the wrong impression. :laughing:

Thanks for putting this up - I listened to your whole rendition and I thought you were really good, especially including the singing! Well done. I look forward to seeing and hearing other videos of your music progress! Cheers

1 Like