Time To Chill - second video of me playing added

Sounding good, David. Keep it up.

I liked the bends you put in there. I agree with Clint that you’re sounding more fluid. Some more slides and hammer-ons could emphasize that aspect.

Well done, and congrats on the anniversary!

1 Like

Happy anniversary. We all appreciate what you do here. Nice beach scene too-love it

Jeff

1 Like

Thank you all for the lovely comments. I can’t lie, it is good to check-in in the morning and appreciate the comments.

The new guitar is comfortable to play but suspect the improvement is due to the time spent with some focus on deliberate practice and I find I hear the changes better now. I reckon that as the level of concentration on playing good-sounding notes reduces the mind is able to listen more actively to the backing and respond to it, play with it rather than just over it.

I still find I get tenses up when doing slides or playing repeating patterns up and down the scale on a single string. Just something to practice. As would be hammer-on and flick-offs.

All good fun and pleasing to be sounding better at the end of the year than the start!

David

It was lovely to come across this on YouTube yesterday as I was looking for some “mood music”. It sat quite well and so its great to see all the plaudits here. You have come a long way in the last year on your Bluesing journey. Long may it continue.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

@batwoman Maggie what a wonderful share. Much needed at the moment. Thx. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

My intention had been to make this a video of me playing the lead in a single take. But I had some video-audio sync issues. Thankfully in tinkering with another application (maybe more on that another time) I figured out the cause of my issue.

So here is the video I intended to share. This is a First Take Friday video. I played around over the BT Thursday afternoon to get a feel. And recorded this on Friday morning. It’s the first take so one or two clams but a faithful representation of my lead play.

For those interested. I recorded the video in OBS while recording and mixing the audio in Reaper. I dropped the video into Reaper to sync and then render the final video from Reaper. The sync issues were caused by Reaper defaulting to 30FPS (frames per second) and OBS set to 25FPS. Once I set Reaper to 25FPS then all was fine. Seems pretty obvious in hindsight but there you are, one lives and learns.

5 Likes

Hi David,
For me it was not necessary to record the same thing in one go, … what does it matter that you record a solo in pieces in the way that is best sound for you, … but it is always it’s nice to see your face when you play, :sunglasses: … there’s always a lot going on there :joy: :sunglasses: :clap:
Greetings,…

1 Like

@roger_holland

That is also my thyinking when I record a solo as part of an original song. Then I record it in sections, multiple takes, with comp’ing, all to get the best possible result. For this sort of video that is to reflect a level of progress, I prefer the single take, more like a live performance than a studio recording. I think there’s a time and place for both.

:rofl: dear me, those expressions. That in itself is something to get used to, like hearing one’s own recorded voice. Cringe cringe. I wonder if Gary Moore used to cringe if he ever watched some of his live performances :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, I completely agree with you, thanks for this explanation… And it’s nice that it now exists together, because in the end there is a good chance that the best version will become the new standard after a few months of practice. …

And :joy:,… I (we for sure we :sunglasses: :wink:) really like the videos and faces

Greetings,…

1 Like

Yes, there is a time and place for both single take and multi take comp’ing versions. This being a guitar learning site it’s always good to see a video of the actual performance whether it’s the complete song or sections of the song, both for the performer and for the audience. I for one enjoy watching the performances of my fellow community members to learn from both the playing and feedback. You’re playing is way beyond my play grade so it was a pleasure to have the opportunity this morning to watch, listen and learn as I slowly make my way down this path.

I was too busy focusing on your picking and fretting hands to notice :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hey man, the important thing is to pick up the guitar and play those jams! Keep chopping wood and stacking up the lead chops my friend. Well done!

1 Like

@Socio Thanks James. Having watched your first forays down the blues improv, I’m not that much further down the road. Spend some time in the blues lead course, just on bending and vibrato plus time spent in playing and you’ll be doing similar and better before you know it. The Guitar Challenges, partyicularly playing over the Layla chord progression and 321 really helped me in this year gone by. YOu can also learn the intro solo for Layla which helped a lot to develop a better feel for playing blues and blues-based leads.

@CT on the money Clint, and as always I apperciate your continuous support and encouragement, ever present from day one back in the year dot.

Nicely done David. Looking good now the FPS are in sync. Man there is always something lurking out there to trip us up !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey on round 2,
Nice tone and you lead play is coming along. So well done. No big on the clams. I mean what is a good bowl of chowder without some clams in it? :wink:

Keep it going and as OH would say, try transcribing a bit of lead work. I did on the last song in places and it was easier (at least on that song) than I expected. For sure I learned from it…

All the best,
LB

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner ain’t that the truth, Toby. I feel the various exercises done this year (learning some solos plus 321) really help me progress. More of the same in 2023 plus maybe even some transcribing.

@LBro you are right to call out transcribing, LBro, I’d benefit from that. Slow and steady, and I feel satisfied that I have laid some basic foundations on which I can build in 2023.

This is great David! Nice production work as well. Happy JGversary!

1 Like

That maybe so but there is quite a bit of traffic separating us. I’m just starting to work on bends and vibratos. I’m looking forward to dancing with Layla in the new year now that she’s available.

1 Like

Take your time James, she’s difficult to please. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, David. Haven’t been around long enough to comment on 6 years of progress, but I enjoyed this - definitely catching a mood with those bends.

Very nice and chilled David! Way above my level to offer any constructive comments but sounded great to my ears!

1 Like