Tip: hitting all 6 strings for chords?

Quote from: Yearn on 07 January 2015, 10:53:41

G chord is a 6 note chord.

E chord is a 6 note chord.

Correction:
G (aka G major) is a 3 NOTE chord. It has the notes G, B and D.
Every Major chord consists of 3 notes, just like the E (=E major). it’s called a triad.

but what about these 6 strings then?
Well you are playing some notes more then 1 time.
if you play it, you can play it over 6 STRINGS, while you only play 3 different NOTES

See how you play the G note 3 times, the B note 2 times and the D note only 1 time?

To form a Major chords, you need to play each note AT LEAST ONCE to form a major chord.
-If you would play only the top 3 strings, you would leave out the D note and you don’t play all 3 notes.
-If you would play the top 4 strings though, you would play the hreee different notes (you would play the G double).
-If you would play the bottom 3; you would play a technically correct G major as well

So, it all depends on how the chord is formed.

If you would play all 6 strings when playing a D major, you would playing a different chord (Dadd9 and not just D).

Check out the D (=D major) chord.
It is created with 3 notes, like every major chord.
The notes are D, F# and A

(by standard, you don’t hit the strings with an x)

BUT: if you would study the chord in more detail, you would see that the second string is the A string. played open (thus, without fretting a note on it), it is the note A. The note A is in the list of D, F# and A so you could actually add this one; so you would play it like this:

Noticed that there is only 1 x now?

If you would try to add the bottom open string, you would be adding an E note.
E isn’t in the list of D, F#, A.
(you would end up with 4 different notes instead of 3 and by that you’re not playign a regular “triad” anymore)

Quote from: Yearn on 07 January 2015, 10:53:41

So like I said if there is no reason given, I would say that is the wrong way to teach and find a new teacher. You would be better off following Justin’s beginner’s course.

Indeed, what your teacher is teaching is wrong.
Are you sure you interpreted him well? because for soem chords you DO play them all (although you don’t have to) and for some you don’t!

If you think this is interesting, I strongly recommend Justins “Practical Music Theory”.
It thought me how to construct scales and chords. (scales and chords is the same kind of structure, learning one = learnign the other :) )

Modify message

3 Likes