Tip: Is singing for you?

Thanks @LievenDV !!
A lot of great tips!

I find my self have to use a capo to change the key in songs most of the time. Probably 70% of what i sing have to be changed with a capo. Im not even close to be able to change keys on the fretboard without a capo.

Thanks again! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing Lieven, I have the feeling I’ll revisit this topic more than once.

I’m one of those who never thought about singing, making the strings ring and playing in time was hard enough :rofl:
Then it just happened. Stil struggle with certain strumming patterns but that s a different conversation.

Thanks again!

And thanks to @tRONd for posting here, I wouldn’t have come across it otherwise.

Great post. I think the point above is your most important one. Some of the best vocal performances I’ve heard have been absolutely terrifying and inspiring at once, often by people who don’t have “good voices”.

I hear you… I would love to sing but get told my my family that I sing ‘out of tune’.

I watched the ‘3 awesome rock vocal tricks’ lesson with Chris Liepe https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/3-awesome-rock-vocal-tricks-sg-333. I think that is when I finally realised that the voice is an instrument too that you can learn how to use.

I then signed up for Chris Liepe’s free training. I did give up (for now) because I can’t practice singing without sending my family into hysterics, and the house isn’t big enough for them not to hear me! Chris’ most memorable tip for me was to sing with a tuner app (such as built into Garageband on the Mac) to try to sing particular notes. The one time I tried I discovered that I sing about two or three semi-tones too low - no wonder I sound out of key to other people (even though I sound spot on inside my own head!).

I also tried out the ‘Singer’s Studio’ app on my phone - this also helps identify your range and fine-tune (or rough-tune) your note singing accuracy.

I’ll need to try to find those moments when everyone else is out of the house to try to sing notes in key again!

3 Likes

Exactly my problem and the reason I don’t sing!

Did you see the video Chris Liepe did recently, where he talks about how he warned his university dorm neighbours that he would be practicing singing at the dorm?

Might be helpful in your situation.

At some point, I’m going to dig into Chris’s lessons…they seem really good!

They already complain to me about my guitar playing, which IS better than my singing…
That being said on Friday when I was home alone I was practicing with the Singer’s Studio app, singing “La-La-La” up two semitones and back down again. I think I’m getting better already! It’s almost like a video game trying to keep the line charting the note you’re singing in the right place!

1 Like

Absolutely!
playing standing up is so much better for your playing posture - your shoulders don’t get all hunched up, and your neck stays straighter, and it is a million times better for singing and getting some air through your pipes.
Plus the guitar feels completely different - in a good way - because it’s not sitting on your leg, - especially for players of dreadnoughts, or GA sized instruments

3 Likes

I have new found respect for anyone that can sing and play guitar at the same time

4 Likes

Good advice thanks!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s kind of ironic for me. About 75% of people are afraid to speak in front of a crowd, which is something I got over about 35 years ago. At least as long as I knew my subject, and had enough time to organize my speech. Remember, those people are there to hear you because they want to, so you typically have a friendly audience to start. Still, I get so nervous playing and singing guitar in public, it’s something I’m working on, by playing for people, with my wife first. The problem I find with getting nervous, is I forget to relax and breathe and my playing turns to a train wreck. So I’m working on breathing and relaxing, trying to play like I do when practicing. I look to Derek Trucks as someone I’m trying emulate (I wish I could emulate his slide skills, but this is about being calm) when he plays because he looks totally focused and related. I also find getting emotional about a song while playing it, often makes for a better song, but then that emotion interferes with my playing.

I keep practicing, thankfully because I enjoy playing, and I try to remember if I make mistakes it’s OK because everyone does, I try to accept and laugh at them, and continue.

8 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Who could, only after practice, sing in tune?

Lately, I’ve been told I can sing. But I’m still not satisfied with it, so I intend to take lessons once I get the guitar playing up a few notches.

Drinking water, standing up, all great advice.

Here’s what I do:

I quit smoking a year ago this coming Sunday, July 10th. Instant improvement in clarity and keeping notes longer. Good cardio exercises will help also.

And a lot of listening and singing. I sing on a daily basis, biking, walking, working. For those who don’t want to sing when others are around, I sing while driving my car, sometimes with the song playing, but most of the time acapella.

The vocal chords are an instrument to be treated with care, but it can be tuned. I believe everyone can improve. I’ve witnessed it here on this site. DavidP is the first name that comes to mind.

8 Likes

:partying_face: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
This will help you in a dozen+ things…Well done
Greetings,

1 Like

All solid advice and a great lifestyle!

Congratultations on quitting smoking! If you managed a year, the hardest part is behind you for sure!

Singing in the car is where I laid my foundations for my Johnny Cash songs :smiley:

1 Like

Cool… the car is great for that especially if you wanna try to find your upper range.

1 Like

Nobody to judge you there :smiley:

Be mindful though, sitting in your car will give you less range than standing upright!

1 Like

Hi Folks,
Still, I don’t think it’s a good idea to stand in your car behind your steering wheel and then sing :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Now standing on the pegs on your bike and singing is a different matter. :motorcycle: :studio_microphone:

1 Like

Surely that’s another matter…I’m going to do it in a moment, will you call my insurance company?..
Oh wait I can’t now, I have to get ready for a hard task tonight…practice clapping to the computer :sweat_smile:

1 Like