Tip: My view on the concept "talent"

Of course there’s innate talent.
We’re all dealt a set of genes at conception, and these set the parameters for all aspects of our development, physical and mental.
How we develop depends on the environmental factors we are exposed to from fertilization onwards.
Now, it’s not that helpful to focus on innate ‘talent’ (or genetic disposition) because you can’t really do much about that, but in almost every aspect of life, you can certainly modify your environment (interactions) to achieve a broad range of outcomes.
Practice (or practise if you prefer :wink:) is one of those that has an immense impact in the field of music, but even with the same levels of practice, some will zoom along, whilst others will struggle.
Most of us are somewhere in the middle of the ‘normal’ distribution curve.
Thank (insert Deity of your choice) we’re all different.
Wouldn’t this be so boring if all our experiences were the same? :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi guys, first time poster! Interesting first thread I just read, and the OP is spot on. I have been interested in this topic and the art of learning for a while, and there a bunch of really great books on the topic. My favourite 2 are ‘Peak’ and ‘The Talent Code’ which both describe ‘deliberate practice’ which is a step on from Gladstone’s 10,000 hour theory.
Here is a nice article that provides some links to further reading on the topic:

Happy (deliberate) practicing all! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Off topic, but that reminds me of a time when my wife was the manager of an Optician shop.

In those days, Opticians were seem as medical businesses, and were referred to as “Practices”. My wife had a badge which stated she was 'Practice Manager".

On one occasion, a woman she was serving looked at her name badge and said “Prackteece. That’s an unusual name…”

Cheers,

Keith

5 Likes

Every day’s a school day.
As if I don’t have enough trouble already with getting s and c mixed up where they sound the same :roll_eyes:

Although I would argue that ‘practise’ makes prevalent not permanent.

Haha reminds me of my father (only speaks basic English) said he thought he “received mail from an Italian”.
“Look here,I think I received mail from an Italian guy, it says --you received a mail from Soméoné --”
"No dad, it says you received mail from someone "

Thanks man that was really inspiring!! :slight_smile: