To Pick or Not to Pick

Some guitarists never use a pick.

But its through choice, so it’s better to learn how to use one and then choose not too rather than let a short term learning issue hold your playing back

Literally everything about guitar playing is strange at first and takes time, effort and practice to do

2 Likes

It’s worth having a watch of the old beginner q&a livestream videos Justin has in the playground. The message I picked up (no pun intended) was that it was better if just starting out to learn to play with a pick and then put it away. I presume it’s because it takes time to get used to and learn how to control the pick. I totally agree with @CT that is good to be able to play with and without a pick. As for noise levels think of it as an opportunity to explore dynamics.

1 Like

Choose what works for you. i use a pick because it gives me volume especially when jamming with others and some songs just sound to me, like they need to be strummed with a pick. Your ear is different so play what sounds good to you.

1 Like

Thank you Michael. Like you said, I’m only in the very beginning of the courses and he’s mentioned both the picks and using your fingers, not really instructing you that you must use one or the other which is why I was asking now for the purposes of down the track (if that makes sense). I was finding it difficult to hold it. I know it’s paper thin requiring no strength as such but there are days where my grip is all but none because of my rheumatoid. It’s always flipping about in my hand and then the sounds were punishing to my own ears, let alone anyone nearby. Thank you. I’ll definitely keep using, getting use to it and hopefully it will just naturally become like an extension of my own hand.
Thank you

Cate

Hahaha. I might give a pickle a go. More to grip with :sweat_smile:. I’d like to eventually learn the classical style. It’s how I ‘learned’ 40yrs ago, albeit half dozen classes, got to the F chord and quit but I love that style. I learned a few songs using that method and then got to House of the Rising….then when it came time for the F….bye!
So, here we are a few decades later doing the strumming, which like yourself and many others, struggle with it (who knew strumming would be such a challenge :thinking:) but this time, I’ve no intention of going anywhere so I’m sticking with it. So I’ll definitely continue using the pick. Just get used to it and who knows, a year down the track, it may be my best friend. At least by then, I can choose once I’ve at least mastered the guitar enough to decide.

Thank you very much

Cate

Thank you Clint. One day at a time but I’ll definitely incorporate it

Thank you

Thank you James

Thanks so much Tony

1 Like

Thanks Rob

For me, it wasn’t really so much about the noise although that definitely did factor into it. It was holding it. I guess when thinking about it, I’m blaming my rheumatoid but in hindsight, it’s the weight of a feather so it’s probably more about being a foreign object in my hand that was/is always flipping about my fingers to the point, I’m playing with it sideways. I’ll stick with it, get myself comfortable and then once I progress, I can then choose to use or not to but for now, I’ll continue to use.

Thank you all so much. Really appreciated all the help and feedback

Cate

Picking and strumming with it are a skill, and its not as easy as you think it should be :slight_smile:

Generally your not holding it tight, and small changes in how you hold it and the angle etc make big differences. You’ve got to get used to manipulating it as you play etc.

Justin covers some of this later but there are entire channels and courses dedicated to it!

1 Like

I now use heavy picks. Mine are Herco Flex 75. They have a serrated top and are less likely to slip. Justin does not recommend heavy picks for beginners but you may be able find lighter ones with a serrated grip. I think Dunlop do them

1 Like

I think beginners would struggle more with heavy picks, hold them too tight and use the wrong angles etc and it all go hideously wrong, and lighter picks work ok for the 1/2/3/4 strum up and down stuff early on

1 Like

Start out with a pick straight away, or at least dont throw it out of the window. Learn to be comfy with it.
Its easier than go back to it on a later stage… take it from one that struggles with picks and started with just fingers.

2 Likes

Which I think was the problem. My grip lets me down with a lot but in fairness, it’s paper thin so obviously it’s just something that I need to incorporate more, hold it firmly as opposed to how I’m holding it now (flimsy almost) so it then becomes a natural habit.

Thank you Rob

Which is what I have, a Dunlop 70. It’s so paper thin and flexible which is most likely why it’s flinging all over the shop.

I’ll continue to follow his instructions, which I have been thus far. I think it also plays into the the fact that strumming is so much harder than I thought so to then add this flip flop thing, it was one of those that was giving me grief. I’ll definitely continue with it. I’m going to be buying a hard case on Friday so will grab some different styles/thicknesses and continue to use.

Thank you Peter

Its a balance, dont grip it too tightly either.

Worth just practicing strumming gently with it , dont bother fretting a chord or anything just practice up and down light strumming at a steady pace and see how you go

1 Like

When I bought my guitar back in Jan, the chap threw in 3 which are virtually all coloured paper, they’re so flimsy so that’s all I’m using, which is what Justin is suggesting at the level I’m at so I’ll continue to follow his instructions, use accordingly but will buy some thicker ones for down the track

Cheers Rob

1 Like

Haha! That me. Struggling but I’m going to stick with it. Make it my friend and then when I become more accomplished, then I’ll choose to stick with it or not but for now, I’m getting great advice from everyone

Thank you Trond

That’s exactly what I was doing this morning. Muting the strings, using the pick and just doing strumming practice
Crazy to think that would be such a challenge

Thanks Rob

isnt it!

I think we’ve all grown up watching people play instruments etc and this seems like it should be a pretty simple thing to do

1 Like