To Pick or Not to Pick

When I lived in the UK, half my flatmates were musos and it all seemed so effortless, although they’d been playing for years so I just assumed, if they can do it, so can I. Pftt. Not the case

Practice, practice and more practice :guitar:

Thanks Rob

1 Like

Anyone try a Black Mountain pick? It is like a regular pick but goes over the thumb.
I haven’t, but maybe it would help?

1 Like

Not sure of the brand name but I’ve seen quite a few ‘classical’ style guitarists and others use ones similar to that where they’ll pick with the fingers and then use that for a strum. I love that style of playing and hopefully one day, will be good enough to play like that myself. Not sure the country you’re in but a local here, Dean Ray (I think) uses a thumb pick. Hmmmm……one day

1 Like

No, different a bit to what I was thinking. Same affect, just different build I think by the looks of it. Would this be okay for a beginner like myself? Was trying to watch the guy playing but was so fast, I wasn’t really grasping it but from what I was taking in, it looked exactly like something I’d really like.

I think thats more for more advanced fingerpicking etc tbh i would give it a while before trying one

1 Like

It’s really up to you, just that many less tricks in your library if you don’t.
In practice I play acoustic finger style and work on volume and dynamics, then I move to electric guitar and the Black Mountain small jazz type thumb pick because they are comfortable and I run my bass lines with the thumb pick and strum and finger pick, then I pick up a 1.4mm pick and Play Boogie with alternating picking pattern electric and then I move to acoustic guitar and a .63 thin pick for strumming.
I litterally hated picks and dropped them all the time. Now the above is my warm up before I settle into whatever I’m practicing. It’s all coming more naturally but it’s the darn repetition you have to go with. Many times I wanted to set the pick down or be lazy and not go out of my way to find one but Levi Clay said I have to take what I hate and work with it regular as clockwork to make progress. You can limit your skill set, but that’s what you are doing, limiting it.

1 Like

I do not think it will hinder your progress.
I have been playing the guitar for more than 50 years now, and I know how to use the pick, but I prefer to play the guitar with my bare hands.
Have fun!
Rene

1 Like

Yep, definitely think it’s beyond my extremely basic levels but interesting for other more advanced though.

Cheers Rob

Being only 7 weeks in, half of what you wrote may as well been in pigeon :slightly_smiling_face::thinking:. Completely over my head however the rest made sense. Definitely something I need to just use it all the time, making it a habit. Then further down the track when I become more proficient, I can then choose to use it or not.

Thank you James

50 yrs. Slightly envious here! Thanks Rene. Thank you everyone. Wonderful community offering so much support and advice. Very grateful

1 Like

I’m starting to practice with a pick now after five years of sloppy finger strumming :rofl:
It’s just another thing to learn :smiley:
I’m with you on the noise level thing. It’s not so much that others would be annoyed and more a self-conscious thing, not wanting to subject them to incessant repetitive. Tbh I think that’s why I prefer playing my electric unplugged with no sound or through headphones when others are in the house :smiley:
Do whatever you feel most comfortable with/gives you the most enjoyment.

1 Like

50 years, and still have not reached my destination.
Long way to go…
Keep on playing, @CateB !!!
With respect,
Rene

1 Like

Haha. I do have sloppy hand syndrome with it. It spins around my fingers that when I look at why it’s sounding so meh, it’s upside down, using the bottom of it or the side. I’m also like you in that when I get anxious, my hand gets handed with it, the volume goes up and I’m annoying myself, never mind the neighbours. :shushing_face::shushing_face::shushing_face::shushing_face:.

Thanks Brian

Don’t tell me that. A further 50 years and I’ll be wearing a pine overcoat. Mind you, won’t have to worry about neighbours then :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Cheers Rene

1 Like

I’ve heard that the issue is people playing celestial harps at unreasonable volumes.

1 Like

Heaven has neighbours from Hell! :rofl:

3 Likes

Hahaha. Well I do hope they play better then myself or I’ll be climbing my way out

Stop it! I’m going to remain immortal now. I love the Harp but not if they’re off key, left handed using their right, using picks whilst blindfolded. :face_with_peeking_eye::shushing_face::grimacing:

You got it.

1 Like

Cate, one thing that occurs to me and not mentioned; whichever style you play pick or finger, should you play for a couple of weeks with pick, when you go back to finger, you will have to practice even more to get back into it and vice versa. Perhaps better to alternate once you have decided on your picks, and that choice will probably change as well.

1 Like