To Pick or Not to Pick

That makes so much sense Mal. Practice with it only and then decide if I want to continue using one.
Far too logical :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you Mal

@cateB, I also worried about the noise problem of using a pick, especially in that early learning phase.

A real conundrum - if youā€™re experienced with using a pick, then you can strum softly with a light touch. But how to get that good with out making so much racket?

I solved by getting a cheap electric unplugged mostly for learning. Iā€™m now almost at the point of not being too self-conscious about the picking volume on my acoustic and actually starting to enjoy the gliding feeling of the pick.

Also taking Justinā€™s Strumming SOS modules helped.

1 Like

Plenty other people have answered your original question, but Iā€™ve not seen much discussion about the type of pick.

I would suggest you purchase a selection of picks.
Iā€™d probably suggest something like Dunlop Max Grip/Nylon Midi (I personally hated the textured surfaces!), Dunlop Tortex, Dunlop Gator (this was my go to for years), Fender Celluloid (my current favourite).
And get a selection of thicknesses (Iā€™d aim for the thin/light to medium thicknesses to begin with).

Different people like different picks, and as you progress, youā€™ll probably find your own preferences changing.

In the UK there is guitarpicks.co.uk, which sell lots of different brands/types, but Iā€™m sure there will be a similar supplier down under, or you might have a local guitar shop where you can buy singles.

Thinner picks are more forgiving of bad technique, and let you hone your technique, but I always hated the flappy strumming sound.
However the thinner pick lets you concentrate on the other aspects of playing, so use them for most of your practise. But also have a short pick strumming practise with the heaviest pick you have, as itā€™ll help hone your strumming technique, and during it, work on seeing how fast you can strum, and also how light/hard you can strum without missing the strings, or catapulting the pick across the room.

1 Like

yeah I have metal, wood, bone picks etc they all have a different feel and sound , some are better for strumming, some are better for lead etc

1 Like

Thank you so much Gary. Thatā€™s basically what Iā€™ve decided to do. Iā€™m going to use one and incorporate it into my regular practicing and at least, if when down the track where Iā€™m more competent (I hope), I can then choose not to use it if I want but Iā€™ll at least have the ability to go back and forth with one.

I really hope that made sense. Iā€™m typing with a shocker headache :face_with_head_bandage: at the mo.

Thank you Gary

Hey MC

I did mention I was using a nylon Dunlop .73, which I thought I was using but Iā€™ve 3 that were given to me when I bought the guitar and Iā€™m actually using a nylon Dunlop .60 super flimsy. I do have a more sturdier tortex Dunlop 73 which Iā€™ve not yet used but Iā€™m going back into the shop on the weekend to by a hard case so will be grabbing some more and Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll have a huge range. Itā€™s a very popular music shop with wonderful, very helpful staff. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll come out poorer but with better picks.

Thanks for your advice. Very grateful

1 Like

Omg. Hereā€™s me thinking they all came in plastic/nylon. Bone. Hopefully not human :wink::face_with_monocle:.

I never asked, the half goat dude at the Cross roads didnā€™t say.

4 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy: