Tommion beginner Log

Cool tks–im going to slow it all down and not rush---. On reflection I think Im trying to learn new songs far too quickly. I`m not ready to be playing HOTRS and H California at full speed. Silly me.

2 Likes

Made an executive decision to stop and consolidate for the next couple of months. I cant believe how many songs can be played with just the chords ive learnt. (and a couple of embellishments) I feel at this stage my brain cant cope with more info so I just want to be great with the chords I have. Having a blast with my new drum machine which is helping with rythm. Playing along to H.Cal, Take it Easy, Put Your Lights On ,Tequila Sunrise and a couple more. I keep trying but still cant get the C chord perfect every time ( my nemesis) which is so frustrating

3 Likes

ok so what was so difficult about that C chord :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: -now to beat the F chord. Loving my new Acoustic Alvarez and can`t put it down ,much to annoyance of Mrs Tommion. Still learning songs and playing along. 8 songs right through albeit with chord charts. Chord changes improving a lot , even adding a little bit of base picking to the chords. Might be time to move on a little now.
Now looking for a reasonably priced acoustic amp. I live on a farm ( no neighbours) so figure why not.

Great progress Tom. Like you I am focusing on Justin’s approach but every now and then I jump out and try a song posted by a different teacher. It has definitely paid off to focus on Justin’s lessons though. I have gotten further than I ever have in my guitar journey and getting so much pleasure out of it. I’m sure you are too and will continue to. Since joining last Oct. I’m on module 11. Best of luck with continued success on your journey. :slight_smile:

@BarrhamianSteve yes I sometimes look at others for fun but stick with Justin.

1 Like

ok now on grade 2 module 11 but have had a look at power chords. Feel like I am making progress and playing along with songs okish. Bought myself a Spark 40 which is great fun and playing more on the electric. Took my Alvarez acoustic to the luthier, turns out not much wrong with it but tweaked it a little. Slow and steady for me --almost got that F chord but not quite there. :grin:

2 Likes

I know this is most boring Beginner Log but its really for my own use as a kind of diary.
Finally got my fingers to stretch for some power chords and a little better on the F. Been delving into some finger picking but not finding it easy. Little bit of Santana (Put your lights out) and even a ZZ Top backing track -becoming real fun and the play alongs have massively increased my chord change speeds.

3 Likes

I posted on another thread about reaching grade 3–well that was total nonsense as im nowhere near ready . Ive slowed it all down now and working slowly through grade 2 .
Bought my self a Squier CV Telecaster to go with the Eastcoast LP (which is great by the way) and a Katana 50 ( Spark returned as faulty) but strangely keep going for the acoustic as first choice. Maybe i`m not the rocker I thought I was :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like