Tommion beginner Log

Hi-A bit early for a log but I thought it might help me.
-64 year old left handed beginner trying to give this a serious go.
After my false start I now have a left handed “East Coast LP” (which looks gorgeous). Nearly 2 weeks in and I have just moved on to module 2. Have played along with a couple of songs and better than that my fingers dont hurt as much anymore I was initially worried that I would struggle with Justins course being a LHer but its ok , just needs a few minutes thought. I know there are several other courses out there but I`m going to stick with just one to stop any confusion.
Just going to subscribe to the app (on a PC) for more songs. :grinning:
Tom

9 Likes

Great stuff Tom. You are making excellent progress.

1 Like

There’s no better time to start your log than at the beginning, Tom. And already progressing too I see! Enjoy Justin’s lessons, you won’t find better online. Good luck 🎸

1 Like

Hi Tom, good you started your learning log. One of the benefits of creating one is that when progress slow down at some point, taking a look at the state of affairs a few days, weeks, or months ago, depending of the frequency that you update your log, can replace a feeling of frustration with one of satisfaction with the progress achieved.

I also thinks that sticking to well structured lessons, like the ones JustinGuitar provides, can be good specially at the beginning. Later you can explore other sources, but by then you can have a better criteria of what can be good or not so good for your guitar learning

2 Likes

2 weeks in -Just completed Grade 1 Module 2 and strumming along nicely with the songs on the app.( love the app) Going to stay at this point a while until it becomes more fluent though.Still early days.
I find I have to look up at the PC screen and lose concentration in my fingers :blush:

3 Likes

I now seem to be stuck. I am struggling to get through whole songs (on app) with “clean” chords. I can strum not too badly (occasional plectrum snarl up-finding it easier to use my thumb-especially up strums). I have started Module 3 for variety but I think im going to be here a while yet. Im guessing this must be common in the first 3 or 4 weeks.

Ps I phoned Angus Young and told him i`m not quite ready to tour with him yet. :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Tom. Hitting roadblocks in your guitar learning is normal but I wouldn’t even call it a roadblock at your stage. It doesn’t look as anything that a little more of practice cannot improve. Look at what are you having trouble and practice that a little more. If you are struggling with the chord changes just do one strum per bar and you will have more time to prepare for the chord change. I do not use the app but I’m pretty sure you can slow down the song a bit to practice at a slower tempo and later increase the tempo a bit at the time until you reach the tempo of the original song.

1 Like

yes you can slow the song down–maybe i`m in too much of a hurry.

Another week and what fun. The app is brilliant for playing along. Have decided to stick at this point a while longer and get the changes superhoned.—I made a basic error of looking around youtube and got myself a bit confused so from now on will stick to Justin`s teaching only and take my time.
Can now play along with “boys round here” and “Wild thing” at full speed—well its a start

1 Like

Now on module 5 and having a blast playing along with the songs on the app. Chord changes a bit squiffy sometimes and the C chord is still tricky for me.
I wonder how long it takes before not having to look at the chord changes -ie muscle memory-can`t do it yet.
Also got a half decent strap which is helping a lot.
Ring finger still wont stretch properly to a third fret but working on it

1 Like

Sounds like you are doing great, Tom, making progress and having fun.

Lots of good sense expressed in your updates.

Sounds like you may be getting close to sharing a recording of your playing in #record-yourself-progress-performance:audio-video-of-you-playing You can create a new Topic for a song or alternatively, if you feel not up for that, jumpt into the Topic ‘Beginners Safe Space’ and post it there.

If you have a webcam that is all that is required or you could make it simply with a smart phone.

That may sound scary and daunting but is one of the next best things you can do, to receive encouragement and feedback to affirm your own assessment of progress.

1 Like

I think i`m a little way from that yet but will in time :blush:

2 Likes

6 weeks in and today is a "im giving up" day. (not really) . I can not for the life of me get the C chord to work. My ring finger just will not stretch to the 3rd fret. Ive watched all the Justin videos (and some others) but to no avail. I`m doing finger exercises everyday but still wont reach . grrr . When it does reach I find my first finger has moved . Wish I had started 50 years ago :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi Tom ! Looks like we are both in the same area. I’m 64 and just began 6 monts ago. Even though I was playing a music instrument when I was young, it doesn’t give me strenght and precision in the left hand and precision with the right hand. I have the same wishes that you have… :sweat_smile: I gess we just have to do the drill and practice. For my part, I have to be carefull not to be to severe with myself. Stay in the here and now, enjoy the journey and have fun :partying_face:

1 Like

8 weeks now and finally nailed the C chord. I was going to move on to grade 2 but when I play along on the app I still miss a few chord changes and not accurate all the time. I have memorised 3 songs though.Strumming still not great,upstrums especially
Not sure what level I should be at 8 weeks but it feels like its improving slowly.

2 Likes

Good work with the C chord, Tom.
There’s no harm in spending another week or two consolidating everything in Grade 1. You’ll be playing those open chords a lot going forward so it’s good to get them solid. There’s also no harm in overlapping a bit into Grade 2. Having something from module 8 in your practice routine will add some variety while you continue consolidating.
A year from now and you’ll look back and realise that 8weeks is no time at all. You feel you’re improving and that’s all that matters. Keep improving!

1 Like

Grade 2 has 5 minute song revision in the suggested practice schedule. This can be used to keep working on chord changes as well

1 Like

Week 15 (ish) and im moving on to module 9. So much to remember. When lockdown started I taught myself to read music and learn to play keyboard so hopefully I can do this but im finding it tricky.
Not going to go any further for a good while until I can consolidate everything I`ve learnt so far. I purchased a Fender Micro Mustang (great for playing along with the app) so at least the missus can get some peace. :grinning:

4 Likes

Im stuck -Im trying to learn a few songs on the acoustic ( my weapon of choice)–House of the Rising Sun, Bad Moon Rising and Hotel California. I can play through slowly but as soon as I try and put it all together my chords all go to pot. Clumsy fingers . Some days I think i`m getting worse.
Trying to play individual strings just shows me how inaccurate my chords sometimes are with muted notes here and there. Back to basics I think.

1 Like

Hi Tom. My way with the songs is practicing separately rhythm alone (better with a metronome or a track with drums), rhythm with chord changes but no lyrics, rhythm with muted strings (no chord changes) and lyrics, and finally giving a try to the whole thing. At some point I may be practicing each way one after another in a practice session each one at speed I am moderately challenged. Once I am feel more fluent with certain speed I increase it a bit to be moderately challenging again. Yes, it’s going back to the basics with any part that needs more work, but it’s something that any guitar player can face at any time when learning a new song, playing a new rhythm or fretting a new chord or switching between chords he or she hadn’t switched between them before.

3 Likes