ToneLib, Reaper and an acoustic guitar

Iā€™ve been having a play but I cannot seem to find out how to affect the sound of my acoustic when I go through the PC into Reaper.

I have a plugin called ToneLib and this works fine for my electric and I can change the tones on my guitar but when I plug my acoustic in the sound doesnā€™t change.

All I am wanting to do is adjust the reverb for the acoustic sound. Is this possible?

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s very strangeā€¦I suspect your acoustic is not actually sending signal to the PC.

• Make sure the battery in the acoustic is good. (I have a problem with mine - it eats batteries even when unplugged, so I have to take out the batteries when not using it)

• Make sure the volume on the acoustic is turned up. (In mine, the controls are hidden in the sound hole, and completely unlabelled, so you might need to read the documentation, or experiment)

• turn off all effects until you can confirm you are getting a dry signal from the acoustic. Acoustics are much louder than un-amplified electricsā€¦you might have to turn up the PC volume to hear the sound from the pickup. It might also feed back once you get it working.

If this doesnā€™t help, I suggest you tell us which model of pickup is installed in the guitar, and that might help with the diagnosis.

2 Likes

Stefan

I assume you are able to record the DI audio on Reaper and just want to tweak it? Have you tried adding ReaVerb to the track and playing with the settings? If you click on FX and type verb in the filter window there may be others plugins you xan use. I canā€™t recall all the stock Cuckos verbs that come as standard off the top of my head but sure there are more than one.
If its tone changes specicically and not just reverb, I used to use a hooky version of GuitarRig but moved onto Waves, so would now use GTRToolRack.

3 Likes

@Tbushell Tom, thank you for that. Iā€™ll check my batteries just to make sure. The volume is okay as I can here that change when going through the PC. Clean is all I seem to be getting. Iā€™m listening through my headphones.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Toby, Iā€™ve not tried recording a track but I could see the volume things moving up and down in Reaper and also OBS. Iā€™ll have a look into the Reaverb and give it a wibble. Do I add it before or after recording? It is just reverb I would like for the acoustic.

If you add it to the track in reaper, you could do either. Depends when you add it, but does the same.

2 Likes

Thanks JK. Now if I add it after, would it come through on the video I would be wanting to post? Or for that does it need to come before?

Both would have it on the track. Doing it before would have the effect in live monitoring, after wouldnā€™t but it would be there later. So, yes.

You could even record with a DAW effect on, then remove it later from the recorded track.

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™ll have a play with it this weekend.

Iā€™ve not posted for ages so keen to get some sharing done.

Youā€™d add it to the GTR track in Reaper. You can do this before you record or after once the track is captured, The latter allows for fine tuning, to get the sound you want. If you are pushing the Reaper audio forward, say into OBS then Zoom the best way to get that eventual ā€œliveā€ set up, is to record a track and tweak. Once you get it to where you want to be, take a step back and leave it alone. And its set up ready for a recording in Reaper, OBS or Zoom (live of recording). Get it set, donā€™t touch that dial ! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thank you for that Toby.

Iā€™ve now got the reverb working on my track so thank you everyone.

3 Likes

Stefan

Donā€™t forget you do not need to limit yourself to the ā€œfactoryā€ FX provided in Reaper. There are plenty of free plugins to experiment with, here for example

There are also plenty to purchase that folks may recommend. Personally I bought a Waves bundle quite a few years ago, so have used a lot of their products. But its all down to personal choice.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Nice one Toby, thank you. :slight_smile:

Yeah, Iā€™ve had a look at GTR3 as itā€™s on sale at the moment for $29.99, which is very tempting.

1 Like

You may want to look at other options as Black Friday/Cyber Monday approach. For example @sclay selected one after quite some research which may be a good option. Sorry I canā€™t quite recall the nameā€¦phoned my Google friendā€¦Scuffhamā€™s S-Gear. You can dive into the proverbial rabbit hole and do some reviewing on this one :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you for that David. Iā€™ll have a look at it. I donā€™t want to be paying to much though as I have my Katana and this is just so I can play on the computer.

:rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Stefan, when you say ā€˜play on the computerā€™ what exactly are you wanting to do? The reason I ask is that I understand there are ways to play through the Katana and into the computer.

2 Likes

David, Iā€™m going through my Focusrite. I do have the Katana setup so that I can do it through the computer but Iā€™m just a curious guy and Iā€™m interested in learning other ways as well. Just so I can broaden my scope of knowledge.

1 Like

Fair enough Stefan.

Iā€™d advocate placing the fx plugins on the audio track after recording. You can then turn the track monitor on and listen back through headphones to hear the effect live. You may have to tinker with the buffer size in the driver setup to manage the latency. In this case direct monitor on the Focusrite is obviously not an option as that is in front of Reaper in the chain.

With an acoustic it may also be a bit awkward as you may still be hearing the guitar in the room as well as in the headphones. That is not such an issue when playing an electric directly into Reaper via the Focusrite and including the pedals, amps, and cabinets via plugins.

In other use cases, such as making an AVOYP recording or performing at an OM and assuming you are using OBS as the video recording, then you can skip Reaper if just wanting some added reverb on your guitar. You can use the VST 2.x plugin option as a Source Filter in OBS. It picks up all your VST plugins that are installed in a set of directories, giving you that option. In my last video made with the electric guitar, the guitar sound was achieved in this way, no Reaper in the chain.

As folk like to say, recording and music production is a huge :rabbit2: :hole: dive in and you can spend your life exploring that warren, which I find magical (excuse the obtuse association, Malazan readers will get it).

1 Like

A little tip which might be useful: with the Katana you can record via the USB and get both the ā€œwetā€ (effected) and ā€œdryā€ (uneffected) signal.

You can record these into separate stereo tracks on the DAW and, if you want to, then you can ā€œre-ampā€ the dry track by using something like the ToneLib plugin.

That way you can record latency-free using the Katana tones, but still get the possibility of using different modelling plugins in post-production, where you can set buffer sizes higher because latency doesnā€™t matter.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Thank you David. I did not know you cold do that. Iā€™ll have a look at that later when I get in from work.

@Majik Thank you for that Keith, Iā€™ll also have a look into that. Iā€™d seen an article earlier this year about re-amping the amp and thought it was quite interesting.

1 Like

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like