ToshS - June 2024 - The Gambler (Kenny Rogers) + My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys (Willie Nelson) for my Father + Take Me Home, Country Roads (John Denver)

Playing this in the Key of G just like Johnny Cash did :slight_smile: You’ll probably notice the last verse missing because my computer auto-shut-down mid song so I wasn’t able to recover some stuff from my recording. Oh well, good start anyway!

17 Likes

Sounding great as always Tosh!

LOL @auto-shut-down! - the number of equipment related expletives I’ve uttered while trying to record stuff is…quite impressive.

Hi Tosh, that’s really sounding nice. Your voice suits this song so well, and I also like the way you sometimes ‘talk-sing’ the lyrics (I hope, this expression makes sense :thinking:).

I like The Gambler. It has been part of my repertoire right from the beginning, as it is such a fine campfire song :blush:.

Thanks for sharing :hugs:.

Thank you, Tosh, for doing this :slightly_smiling_face:
A great song and a wonderful performance :+1:
And I’m starting to love country music more and more.
Leo

Oops! Sorry it got cut off. But you did great. I always enjoy hearing and singing along with this one.

Nice job Tosh, great song and it was great to hear it again… I think a bit more practice might allow it to flow a bit smoother…

LB

Your vocal certainly suits that stuff Tosh, well done. I haven’t ever heard the Johnny Cash version of this song, only the Kenny Rogers one.
I agree with LBro, I’ve heard you play more smoothly. Do a little more practice and you’ll have it nailed.
Well done.

I like it! Definitely channeling Cash here. I also dig the talk-sing thing. You play and sing with confidence. Well done!

Good call. Always time for more practice LB! I often find myself inclined to just deal with the last take and move on. haha

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve learned to like that style. Helps me relax if I’m nervous too.

1 Like

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the great feedback on The Gambler. Here’s another country classic I’ve been working on. Those of you who have been around awhile may remember a few years ago me talking about my Dad being a big Willie Nelson fan. He likes Johnn Cash too btw, no worries there :slight_smile: But Willie has always been his favorite, so I did this in tribute for Father’s Day. He’s 84 this year. Let me know what you think!

9 Likes

Tosh

Well played: your confidence grew as the song progressed and your singing was far more in sync with the accompaniment.

Brian

1 Like

Well played and sung Tosh. Your playing looked really nice and relaxed, strumming and chord changes were good. You’ve inspired my practice session for today. Thanks for sharing :clap: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Love it Tosh, you have the voice and vibe for these country legends.

2 Likes

That was very well played and sung, Tosh! :clap:

You really have transported the vibe of the tune and these kind of songs suit you well. I thoroughly enjoyed the listen. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am sure your Dad is proud to hear this song. I truly enjoyed listening to it. My dad passed a few years back and he liked the same type of thing. He would have been 84 on June 1st. Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Very good Tosh, I enjoyed listening to it and so will your dad!

2 Likes

Lovely, what a great tribute to your dad, he’ll be well proud, very well done. :+1:

2 Likes

Love it :exclamation: Love everything. The playing. The singing. The style. This is great. Thanks Tosh :pray: :pray:

1 Like

Good stuff Tosh. You’ve certainly found your niche with these Country classics.
Well done.

1 Like