Transcribing Easy Riffs

I have managed to transcribe black night pretty quickly which is v satisfying! But have learnt the other riffs ages ago reading tab books and online tutorials! apart from pretty woman . Anyone got any suggestions of other song riffs that are ok for someone like me whose new to transcribing ?

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I just transcribed Black Night by Deep Purple and I noticed that, although the notes are right, they are in a different part of the neck.
More specifically, I played the E note on the 2nd fret of the 4th string instead of the 7th fret of the 5th string.
After I played them both I didn’t notice any particular tone difference.

How “wrong” is it to play it this way and how can I distinguish such small differences?

Thanks in advance!

It not wrong at all. You can’t they are the same note. 2nd fret D string is the same note as 7th fret A string. Different spots on the neck are more comfortable to play than other spots. For example you’ll finf it easier to bends notes up at the 7th fret than the 2nd. This is why most electric guitar parts are higher up on the neck. When you start playing the e B G string up higher on the neck you’re getting into higher octaves that are only on those string but from the open to 12 fret you will find the same notes in multiple spots.

1 Like

this girl on youtube - Rachelf created tool for youtube to loop videos, check her latest video on youtube and you will see her learning song from it and you can use it too, it’s free to use :slight_smile:

Hey, i find this one quite challenging. Especially to hear out the low notes. But i think Justin made a Mistake for the Hint of Another One Bites The Dust.
Listening i could hear it descending at first, also online tabs said too it goes from A, G then starts the repeating E.

Can anyone confirm?

Excellent Challenge. YES :+1: :nerd_face: :sunglasses: :heart: :pray:

Same here! Before checking the hints I thought it was F.

Pretty sure another one bites the dust is off tune. It sounds much more like E# than E in my books. I’ve played along to different copies of the song. Not sure why it’s being taught as E?

Typo surely @JGAdmin in the lesson notes? ‘Black Knight’ should read ‘Night

Fixed. Thanks for the alert. :slight_smile:

1 Like