Transcribing - success with an RHCP song. Is anyone else transcribing? How are you getting on?

I’ve just finished transcribing the first solo in The RHCP song
I Could have Lied.
I’m quite pleased. Did better than I thought.
I got nearly all of the notes correct but played some in a different part of the fret board.
Using pattern 3 of the major scale for most of it when JF is moving into pattern 4 quite a bit.
That’s something that is not easy to pick up so I’m not being too hard on myself.
Is anyone else working on transcribing a song?
Be nice to know how you’re getting on.
This is the best I’ve done.
But on bad days it can really hit my confidence.

7 Likes

:+1: :+1: :beers: :beers:

1 Like

Great :exclamation: I think we learn a lot by transcribing. Keep on :exclamation:

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry too much, unless where the notes are played make a real difference in the tonality (for example using an open string instead of a fretted note) it doesn’t matter. You will probably find that most of the time a more experienced player will choose the most efficient position.

1 Like

I’ve not transcribed any song’s yet but I’ve just had a sneak peak at grade 3 and I need to really dive into it.

1 Like

That’s rad, Jason! Good on you, keep at it! :metal: I’m just getting into transcribing myself, have done two songs so far. Really enjoyed the process on both of them, despite it being fairly laborious. Also feel I’ve learnt a great deal from going through it. A very well worth while experience. I cover off my most recent transcribing effort under my learning log, it was a fairly big project :joy: but I used Guitar Pro 8 to help me work things out and I can highly recommend it, excellent software. I followed Justin’s approach in his video here…

2 Likes

I haven’t done any transcribing and probably wont as I don’t have the ears for it.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff
That’s good to hear. Yes It does get a little difficult to keep concentrated but as you say it’s well worth it.
I tend to try for a couple of 1 hour sessions a week.
I’ve looked at guitar pro but honestly don’t think I’ll get much more out of it than the free software I already use.
I actually used youtbube for I could have lied.
The slow down feature and the rewind 10 secs tool is good enough for my needs :+1:

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I did for Know Your Enemy too and it works pretty well eh :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

You’ll be surprised just what you can train your ears to do Stuart.
I was hopeless when I started but things do get better.
I can arrange simple fingerstyle compositions by ear now and I’m getting much better at working out solos.
I recently put together my own fingerstyle arrangement of the old 60’s classic Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow.
It gives me a great sense achievement.
Ok it’s a Goffin and King song but I doubt it’s ever been arranged for guitar in the way I’ve done it.
It makes it unique to me!
It’s not easy but definitely worth an hour or two every week.

1 Like

I’ve done a couple songs this year (and a lot of random riffs and chord progressions). I find it easier and more rewarding than dedicating the time to ear training. Harmonies with brass and keys are still problematic.

If a song sounds easy in my spotify discover weekly I’ll try to transcribe it on my work break.

This song actually went really quickly. It uses a really common jazz progression and the minor plagal cadence in the prechorus stood out like a stop sign.
CODY JON - Becky's Plan (Official Video) - YouTube

2 Likes