Transcribing: What about the guitar capo?

We’ve been training your ears to transcribe songs, but how do you know if and where a guitarist was using a capo?

View the full lesson at: Transcribing: What about the guitar capo? | JustinGuitar.com

Just watched this on YT. You’ve forgotten to post the link mods.

1 Like

Great lesson. Nothing more frustrating than transcribing a song, getting the basic chord progression right and still wondering why it sounds different from the record.

I can usually spot both the D chord embellishments and C chord hammer-ons pretty easily, as well as a full E chord. For some reason the F chord is a lot trickier. Probably because it can be played as a full F barre chord, the small F or an Fmaj7.

Around 13:00, Justin suggests trying to work out each song ‘without the capo’. Presumably you mean ‘without the tips’?

Feels impossible, i really suck at this :triumph:
At first, it sounds like I got the chords, but then when I watch someone play,
it appears to be completely different.

That’s my assumption too. @Richard_close2u @DavidP or @LievenDV can one of you confirm please?

Justin literally means try to figure out the songs with no capo on your guitar.
Literally that.
Then, once you know the chords, figure out haw a capo can help.

Cheers :blush:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Approved Teacher

1 Like

This is a fantastic lesson! Not only were we challenged to locate the capo fret and associated chords for each of the 10 songs, I also learned several great songs that I might not have learned otherwise.