Traveler March 2023 – Lee Brice, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alabama, Garth Brooks

Hello all!

Here is my latest recording of a tune that I have picked up and dropped off a few times.

I would love some feedback, I think that it’s a little sloppy, but it’s one where I’m trying to push myself to play a little faster. Cheers all!

Love Like Crazy—Lee Brice

4 Likes

Bring up the vocals a bit.

1 Like

I thought so too, thanks for feedback!

1 Like

Great voice! One thing though, audio seems to be split, guitar to the right speaker, and vocals to the left.

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah, I had some struggles with this one.

I was a little oblivious to this aspect at first, and I wasn’t listening carefully enough with headphones AMD studio monitors.

Now, I (mostly) have that aspect ironed out in the DAW, reaper, but then it’s split in OBS. Also, I don’t know if any of my FX are carrying over from reaper to OBS. I’ll attach the SoundCloud version of the song below, recorded in the same sitting.

Love Like Crazy—Lee Brice

1 Like

Amazing, now all goes through both channels. I would push the vocals more to the front, it is still hard to hear the lyrics.

1 Like

I agree :+1:

Playing and singing sounds good, Travis.

As others said, vocal needs to be a little louder in the mix.

And if you are adding reverb to the vocal then perhaps work on the wet/dry blend or change the settings to make the reverb more subtle. Reverb does have the side-effect of pushing something back into the mix.

I assume that you are making the video recording in OBS with a visual feed from a webcam and and audio from Reaper. I haven’t played with that setup for a while. I did get it working well using ReaRoute to feed audio from Reaper to OBS.

If you are not adding more backing in Reaper, then you don’t really need it in your setup. You will find that if OBS is setup/installed correctly after Reaper has been installed that you can add plugins available in Reaper on the track filters in OBS.

You also want to pay attention to the overall level of the final video. YouTube (and I think SoundCloud) have a standard loudness level and if you exceed that they turn your volume down. I’m not sure how they do that, I suspect a limiter, but it is going to mess with your dynamics. In your case, it was not way over so may not make a big difference.

You pick this up using Stats For Nerds, as per imagine below. You’ll see you are at plus 3.1dB. You want to be negative and in a range around 3-5dB

1 Like

Hi David. Where exactly do you access stats for nerds?

1 Like

@sairfingers Gordon, when plkaying YT videos on a computer in a browser you move the mouse-pointer on the video and right-click to display a pop-up menu. Stats For Nerds is the final option.

I had to Google to get an answer if using a phone. On my Android YT app I first have to enable Stats For Nerds under General Settings. Then it is an option when selecting the options icon in the top right of the video when it is playing.

1 Like

All great tips, like always @DavidP !!

There are several rabbit holes in your response which I greatly appreciate. I will check out rearoute because there is a mix up somewhere between the output from reaper and the input to OBS. I still have much to learn about both.

I had no idea about the YT nerds and advanced settings feature. I’ll check that out this evening as well!

Here is another song from the same recording session that I think had a little more balance to it. These were not recorded at the same time like the Lee Brice song above.

Youtube: Four Walls Of Raiford—Lynyrd Skynyrd

SoundCloud: Four Walls Of Raiford—Lynyrd Skynyrd

3 Likes

That was nicely done Travis. Yeah, just up the vocals a little.

1 Like

Yeah some nice playing and singing Travis, as the other guys have said some higher balance on the vocals needed and it’ll be great when your do, your voice is really distinctive.
Top performance :+1:

1 Like

Thank you @SgtColon !! My next purchase is going to be nice studio monitor speakers. I have decent headphones now but my speakers suck.

1 Like

Thank you @Notter !! There are so many complicated aspects of all of this! Having a blast on this learning journey!

Hi Travis,
Very nice song and playing/sung :sunglasses: :clap:…on soundcloud because on youtube is my vocals and guitar separated … vocals left guitar right???
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Thank you @roger_holland !!

Yeah I’m not sure how to adjust the panning aspect. Working on it. Ha!

I did record another song that still seems to have that imbalance, but I think it sounds pretty good.

I think that I need to look more into the software that I’m running on the scarlet audio interface.

Here is a song by Alabama.

Dixieland Delight—Alabama

It seems like I’m still having the same panning issue, and I’m not sure how to resolve it yet (I’m stuck, ha), but here is a recording by one of my favorite artists, and it’s probably my best recording of the month so far.

Unanswered Prayers—Garth Brooks