Traveler—October 2024: You Don’t Know How It Feels—Tom Petty, I Will Always Love You—Dolly Parton

Happy October all!

Life has been exhausting. I’ve been consumed by my day job and have not been able to practice as much as I’d like. I’ve had a few gigs though, and a gig is a paid practice :+1:

Here is a Tom Petty classic that I was able to record this evening!

Any feedback or criticism is welcomed! Thank you!

Go Bills!

7 Likes

Always enjoy your sound Trav :+1:. Nicely done, is the guitar plugged in or on the mic?

1 Like

Very good Travis. Enjoyed it very much.

1 Like

Hey Travis! Nice post. You’ve got the song down as far as the progression, singing and playing in time, etc. It sounds good!!

My one suggestion would be try to pull out the drum "groove/feel"that Steve Ferrone was laying down in the orginal.

The “duf-duf-PAH”, "duf-duf-PAH " is super accentuated in the oroginal and your version doesn’t bring this out as fully as it might.

There are also some simple guitar fills after the first verse-chorus that could add some flavour.

My main point would be that the tune has a verse groove and a chorus groove “you don’t know how it feels. .” and without making these changes in groove more obvious, the song could end up sounding “samey”.

Hope you take the suggestions in the way that they were intended. There’s nothing wrong with how you’re playing the tune but these details would add variety to the dynamic of your version.

Sounding great, keep on rollin!! :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for listening @CD02 !! I have my guitar plugged directly into audio interface, and like many here, I’m controlling/adjusting/mixing the sound in Reaper, with video through OBS.

1 Like

Thank you @Willsie !! It came out pretty good, and I like the foundation that I have to work with now :+1:

Amazing feedback @jgottwals !! Thank you so much for your thoughtful response.

I’ll check out the version you mentioned and practice the variance in strumming patterns and, mixing it up so to speak.

It’s interesting how the process of learning a song develops. At first, I was just trying to keep a rhythm and to try to keep the vocals in time and in tune with it. I feel like now I’m finally to a point where I can try to be more authentic to original versions, or accentuate my own interpretations of things.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Travis

Enjoyable version of a good song. When you’re singing the line ‘you don’t know how it feels’, there’s a drop in the tension of your delivery that reveals a softer, more inviting voice; you should have the confidence to develop and deploy that part of your range more often. The, hopefully constructive, criticism I’m hinting at is that you have vocal options that can lend more colour to the performances.

Brian

1 Like

I like Tom Petty a lot! I was first surprised by the very different voice and singing style, but your vocals work really well in the song, thank you for this rendition!
Cheers, Dominique

1 Like

Thank you @beejay56 !! I love the advice!

To be perfectly honest I haven’t spent much time on the song. I love Tom Petty and wanted to get another song of his under my belt.

I love your suggestions! What I actually notice more is the lack of intro-outro. That’s on the list too :+1:

I LOVE Tom Petty. I saw him front row around 20 years ago and it was a memory I’ll never forget! He is an amazing performer and will forever be a voice in rock and roll!

With that said, my voice is nothing like his. And that’s often the case lately is that I’m transcribing/adapting some pretty fun stuff. I like the challenge of making any song yours.

I’m gonna post another song I was messing around with a couple weeks ago that fits the same vein of challenges.

I Will Always Love You—Dolly Parton (Cover)