Traveler - November 2022 - Travis Tritt, George Strait, Garth Brooks, Chris Stapleton, John Prine, Pink Floyd, Colter Wall & more

RE: The River—Garth Brooks

I enjoyed this one too Travis. What a way to jump in, 3 songs at once.

1 Like

Millionaire—Chris Stapleton Millionaire - YouTube

This is my most recent recording. Please let me know what you think!

1 Like

Paradise—John Prine Paradise - YouTube
I didn’t spend very much time trying to learn this song. Generally I like to play something for a couple weeks before I record it. Please let me know what you think!

1 Like

RE: Paradise—John Prine
I love the gravel in the lower registers of your voice! Really brings out the emotion of the song. I’m a huge JP fan - maybe I’ll post myself playing one of his songs. Thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like

Thank you! I consider Prine one of the greatest song writers, ever. Jam away!!

On The Turning Away—Pink Floyd On The Turning Away - YouTube
Pink Floyd can be tough to cover as a solo artist. They have so much other stuff going on in every song. Ha!

3 Likes

RE: On The Turning Away.
Very nice. I always have to watch Pink Floyd avoyp. Good song too. :+1:

1 Like

Nice my friend :pray:t2:

1 Like

Very nice Travis! It’s one of my favourite post-Roger PF songs - one to really stir the emotions.

1 Like

Very nice! Your voice suits the song well. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you!

The Devil Wears A Suit And Tie—Colter Wall The Devil Wears a Suit and Tie - YouTube
Many of you probably haven’t heard of Colter Wall, but he is one of my favorite artists right now. I play a lot of his songs. I aspire to play better without a pick partially because of the way he plays without one.
Original track: Original 16 Brewery Sessions - Colter Wall - "The Devil Wears a Suit and Tie" - YouTube

2 Likes

RE: The Devil Wears A Suit And Tie—Colter Wall
Bravo, Travis. You are right, never heard of Colter Wall. Enjoyed your rendition and the original, appreciate the sharing.

1 Like

Thank you! He is part of the modern underground outlaw country brand that I seem to be spiraling towards.

1 Like

The Old Apartment—Barenaked Ladies The Old Apartment - YouTube
Please let me know what you think! I’m always open to all feedback.

5 Likes

RE: The Old Apartment—Barenaked Ladies
Love the energy and dynamics in this performance, Travis, the gusto and growl in the vocal.

I see you’ve been enthusiastic in posting up recordings in AVOYP. The Community is now so active that you may get more people watching and commenting if you spread the posting out a bit. And perhaps strike more balance in sharing your own recordings with the offering of feedback or just encouragement to other posters.

4 Likes

Hats off to you for sharing your tracks publicly. Well done!

I come here for the guitar, so I will begin my comments there. Your strumming and chording is steady and true. Not knowing where you are in your guitar journey, consider adding some dynamics to your playing. As a dyed in the wool open cowboy chord strummer, I know what a challenge that can be. Some ideas to ponder:

• We don’t have to strum every string on every chord. Doing so will drone on and cause ear fatigue in the listener over time. Accent the bass and/or treble strings at certain times. Single note picking and bass runs are always welcome to the ear.
  • Build up to the chorus. Play your verses with conviction as you have done, and then open it up and let 'er rip in the choruses. Justin has some lessons on this concept.

Your vocals really popped! Nice growl from those pipes. Consider doing a cover of this song: Temple Of The Dog - Hunger Strike - YouTube
Easy chords and with your vocal range (which I don’t have) you would slay it. Being a fatty makes me uncomfortable singing, “I’m going hungry” as well. LOL

3 Likes

I love that song! I have muddled around with it some but I will concentrate on Hunger Strike more the next couple weeks!

Thank you for your detailed, thoughtful post. A few months ago I was struggling with strumming, and I’m starting to get there, and I’m practicing changing patterns between bars, but what I’m really noticing now is the difference between strumming when I’m singing versus not singing.

Awesome feedback. Thanks again!

1 Like

Wow Travis, what an energetic performance. Really good playing and singing. Enjoyed listening a lot :smiley:.

1 Like

Thank you! That song really reminds me of my youth.

1 Like