Triad Arpeggios

It's time to play some arpeggios. I call them liquid chords, remember? :)

View the full lesson at Triad Arpeggios | JustinGuitar

1 Like

It finally clicked with me! I’m studying Intermediate course’s scale in thirds. And right here I see the exact same triads (meaning major/minor thirds) used in arpeggios. Thank you Justin for making me understand guitar musical theory better.

2 Likes

It is starting to make sense with me although I am abit confused of what is meant by Root 6 and Root 5?

PS, thank you Justin :slight_smile:

Hi Christopher,
Welcom to the community for all your questions,
The 6 and the 5 stand for the root on string 6 and the root on string 5.
I hope it’s a bit clearer now.
I see that this lesson is about arpeggios module 4 lesson 11,…did you jump in here without starting at the beginning ?, because then this might be a bit heavy then.
Wish you a lot of fun, Greetings Rogier

Hello @kitmur and welcome to the Community.

As Rogier says, the number indicates which string the lowest (in pitch) root note of the pattern is located.
6th string or 5th string.

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

Thank you for replying. I hadn’t realised it was as simple as that, I was completely overthinking!

1 Like

Justin doesn’t seem to use the suggested fingering with the major chords. The way he seems to play it actually does make a whole lot more sense.

Suggestion: it might be worth noting that the shape of the triads across string sets- 654 and 543 will always be the same (as none involved the 2nd string with its different tuning)? I know that when we link the triad shapes to a particular chord (as is done here with G) this means that the shapes capture different inventions but in “real world” use, it’s probably more practical to know that the shapes are the same for those string-sets and to simply find the root note as your starting point. If I’m missing something I’d be grateful for correction. Thanks again for this course - it’s awesome. Martin

Hello there!

This is a great module that has made me to start connecting dots about music :relaxed:. However, the prerequisites to continue with the music theory course isn’t all clear to me :slightly_frowning_face:.

I’ve been practicing G,C, and D triads (123 strings) for some time now and i’m confortable with them, however I don’t know how much depth is needed before starting next module.

Should I learn G,C and D triads in the rest of strings? What about the rest of the notes? Should I practice A, B, E, and F triads? Because It stills take me a while to find a root note in the thinnest 3 strings (aside from G,C, and D that i’ve been practicing).

And Should I learn the 4 arpeggios patterns? Because Justin says that they are there to explain the arpeggio, but that we can use just the thinnest strings for improvising over a particular chord. so i don’t know if i can (or should) move one just knowing this information is here for future reference or stay and absorb everything.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Hi Edgar,

It’s indeed a great module with plenty of food for thought and practice opportunities. I’d say try to explore other triads (minor ones as well) on strings 1-2-3, and check out strings 2-3-4 as well. Then, it’s up to you. I still keep going back to this lesson and work on other string combinations.

I’ve only done the root 6 arpeggios. It’s good material for practicing. However, don’t let it keep you from continuing with subsequent modules.

1 Like

@Rumil
I can do some triad work with you in a lesson if you wish.

Hi JĂłsezf

Thanks for you replay :slightly_smiling_face:. That’s precisely the point where i’m at the moment. So all good there.

Great, that’s what i was thinking about. that this is something to get in the burner, have a few minutes in my practice routine about triads and arpeggios but moving to the next module.

Thanks mate!

That would be great, and it would be great too if we can talk about the design of my road map :blush:

1 Like

Hello :wave: ,

Another question about the arpeggios.

With the suggested fingering, should I use the technique of role the finger when I have to play 2 notes in the same fret but adjacent strings? Because if I don’t, it sounds weird when I move the finger because the previous string suddenly stops ringing (Eg: In the root 6 major arpeggio, we have 2 consecutive strings that I have to use the little finger to press)

Thank you!

Just wanted to throw up a thank you to the board.

Loving the way these lessons are giving me the code to opening rich new rooms to wander and wonder within.

My long term goal is to be able to know where I am on the fretboard and be more nimble and to have my bearings in the moment of a song, while being able to step confidently around during a jam with others.

I’m so glad that I took a detour to music theory in the middle of my journey at the grade 3 mile marker.

2 Likes

If you can then yes, that makes sense when learning and practicing them. In use you may choose to roll or not to roll depending on the sound you want and what comes before / after those notes.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

1 Like

Great! It sounded better to my ear while practicing :blush:

1 Like