Trio+ or Boss RC-10R/RC-500?

And where do you plug-in the guitar? Into THR or Trio+? If the guitar is in Trio+ - how does THR know what is guitar and what is TRIO effects, if the guitar is in THR - how does Trio know anything about guitar being played? Iā€™ve seen the post about Katana, but thereā€™s and additional effect loop for that there

1 Like

Ah, you have decided to enter the fun zoneā€¦ Good on you! :smiley:

If you have a Trio+ foot controller, plug that in to the socket marked control (on right)
Take a male to male (headphone size) jack and connect the headphone out on the Trio to the aux in on the THR. Switch on the Trio+ and THR amp
You follow all the instructions as per manual for arming the Trio and recording up to 5 different chord progressions in (up to) 12 song locations with your guitar plugged into the Trio (on the right hand side marked guitar. You can control the volume via the Audo vol knob on the THR, by the headphone vol knob on the back of the Trio, by the individual drum/bass/loop knobs on the top of the Trio.
See pic 1 (foot controller not plugged in to reduce clutter)

Once you have your backing samples +/- guitar loops recorded, unplug the guitar jack from the Trio and plug it into the input jack on the THR. (see pic 2)

You can now dial in any tones you want for your guitar with the THR controls (which do not affect the sound coming in from the aux channel). You can balance audio (Trio) and guitar volumes independently.
You should be able to use your Pod Go to manipulate the sound of your guitar while recording your loops, if you place it between the guitar and Trio (as in pic 1). In fact it might work just as well to leave it there if you donā€™t want to manipulate the sound with your amp and are only modulating with your Pod Go.
Iā€™ll find out later this week hopefully when my new toy arrives :wink:
Enjoy!

1 Like

you introduce yet another gadget into our discussion, which I donā€™t have!

1 Like

Heā€™s a good salesman :wink:

1 Like

Oops, my badā€¦ :disappointed:
Mixing up threads again.
Hehe, I havenā€™t one eitherā€¦ yet, but I guess the same would apply if you had any pedals :smile:

1 Like

You do have some basic distortion FX built into the Trio+
But I am not sure if the effect is recorded with the loop or if it is applied to the loop as itā€™s played.

From the manual:
Using The Built-In Guitar Effects
The TRIO+'s built-in effects can be turned on or off using theGUITAR FX button. The button has 3 states, they are:
ā€¢ LED Off ā€”The built-in guitar effects are disabled.
ā€¢ LED Green ā€” Indicates that a rhythm guitar effect will be applied to your guitar signal.
ā€¢ LED Red ā€” Indicates that a lead guitar effect will be applied to your guitar signal.
NOTE: Effect types are dependent on the genre select.

1 Like

On the Trio+ there are some effects.

They are recorded as part of the loop (which is what you want).

They are not applied to the loop playback (you donā€™t want that).

Also, the effects are style-specific: if you have (for instance) Metal chosen as a style, the effect will be a generic ā€œmetalā€ tone, e.g. higher gain. If you select ā€œJazzā€ then you will get a lower gain tone more appropriate to the style. You canā€™t change this.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

This thing is dope! I wonder why it canā€™t be an ā€œappā€? I mean, if this was a feature of NUX pro, that would be the ultra-killer device. I wonder if itā€™s due to DSP requirements, but what canā€™t a modern day CPU emulate.

It could be an app:

https://www.bandcreatorapp.com/

But I suspect for most people a pedal is easier and more convenient.

Cheers,

Keith

Given Digitech has apparently been sold and their pedals are being developed again, i do wonder if a new Trio pedal will be developed?

The current Trio+ is a good few years old now.

So I just tried using my NUX MP3 as ā€œpedalboardā€ into the Trio+ and it worked fine.

I used a 3.5mm jack cable and 1/4" converter plug as per the idea in this video.
How to Connect Your Phone to Pedals & My Favorite iOS Apps to Use With Guitar Effects

Plugged the NUX into the guitar. Connected the NUX headphone jack to the Trio+ guitar input using the 3.5mm cable with 1/4" adapter then connected my headphones to the headphone jack of the Trio+ and voila.

The setup is in the photo below. It allowed me to use the looper and layer the loops with whatever tone/effect I wanted. My only concern is that it could potentially damage the Trio+. Does anyone know if this is an OK thing to do?

3 Likes

Not sure how that could damage the Trio. Youā€™re just putting a modified guitar signal into it.
Iā€™ve used a distortion pedal and Pod Go recently with no ill effects.
Youā€™re gonna need a power source for the Trio though :wink:
Enjoy

My concern was that since the signal from a guitar is weak I thought the the stronger signal from my headphone might overload the Trio+. I tried it on my Boss RC1 looper first and it worked well. If the guy in the video above does it then I figured it should be OK. So far everything is still working.

1 Like

I mean switching to USB-C is instant success :smiley: