Trio+ or Boss RC-10R/RC-500?

@adi_mrok Which one did you buy? :slight_smile: I’m facing a similar question as you did in the past. Lots of useful info in this thread. I’m just wondering what decision you made. :slight_smile:

Hey Kamil I ended up with RC 500 after all which is a great piece of kit. I guess whichever you choose you probably will be a very happy owner :wink: Slow Dancing in a Burning Room I recorded with my looper when playing solos.

It sounds great on that recording. :slight_smile:

I was also considering RC-500, but I’m leaning towards RC-10R because of these:

• has more drum patterns.
  • has drum fills, including start and end.

Everything else points towards RC-500.

Do you use drum patterns on the RC-500?

I used it on Justin’s Christmas livestream and it was sufficient for my limited requirements :grinning: it has quite a lot of options which I am yet to discover and quite a lot of different options to my taste, you can definitely model the fills in some capacity but not sure how it compares to 10R or Trio…

I went through this conundrum recently as well and ended up with the RC-500. Whilst it’s more than I need at the moment - I figured the extra £65 I had budgeted was worth it as it gives me the options and headroom to grow into as my playing and ideas mature. It was an even split between this and the RC-10, so in the end so it came down to what was in stock locally.

1 Like

@adi_mrok That was great. Were you performing only with RC-500, or did you use RC-500 to record parts (different drums, pauses, etc.) to the computer and play them back?

Thanks, @Svalbaard. Indeed RC-500 has more headroom for growth.

I watched more videos on youtube, and I will go with RC-10R for its better drumming capabilities. The purpose is songwriting and jamming with RC-10R drums.

If I didn’t care so much for the better drumming capabilities of the RC-10R, I’d pick RC-500 too.

These two videos show nicely how the drums change between the intro, verse, chorus, and outro. Plus there are nice drum fills that can also be triggered with a button. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have used drums to record it back to Reaper and played it from there together with remaining instruments. A bit over the top but hey as long as it works don’t touch it :grinning:

Let us know once you test your new toy out and if it suits all your needs!

1 Like

Yeah, if it sounds great it’s great! :slight_smile: Just too bad about the sound quality issues (zoom or internet connection related?). I’d love to hear a cleaner version of that performance.

I will get back with a review. :slight_smile: I will wait a week before ordering because NAMM is taking place this week. Maybe another looper will be announced.

1 Like

So I bought the Boss RC-10R. :slight_smile:

It’s giving me exactly what I wanted:

• Lots of drum patterns.
  • Sections: intro, verse (with drum fills) ↔ chorus (with drum fills), ending.
  • Drum fills on demand.
  • Being easy to use, but I have quite a bit of experience with simple Ditto Looper and foot/tap dancing with effect pedals.

How have I used it so far? Home use only:

1. Playing cover songs, where I pre-record the rhythm parts and later play on top vocal melodies, other guitar parts, guitar solos, etc.
  2. Creating my backing tracks, improvising, having fun with guitar effect pedals, etc.
  3. Only using the drums while practicing stuff, to improve my time feel. It’s more fun than using a metronome. The Boss RC-10R also has metronome-like sounds, but for the pure metronome, I prefer Justin’s time trainer mobile app anyway.

At the current stage of my guitar journey, this device is perfect. I feel it will help me improve my timing and help me get better at composing songs/backing tracks that have a verse and a chorus.

1 Like

Also was thinking about exactly the same choice - I’ve found this on EBAY - is this a good deal for 300$?

People throwing away stuff they used during COVID, as their lives change all over again :slight_smile:

If it’s in working order- yes :smiley:
The Trio+ retails new at around $400. You get two foot controllers and the jamMan looper thrown in. As the Trio already has a looper and plenty of slots, you can sell the JamMan with foot controller, deducting that from the $300 you paid :smiley:
It’s a good buy.

Wow, I bought mine new for 195 euros on offer at thomann + the pedal
september 2021… :flushed:
Now 329 euro…
Indeed a good deal Vitalik @Pleasedodisturb
Greetings,Rogier

It all depends what you think you’re going to do with this setup. All it’s doing is feeding the output from the Trio+ into the input of the JamMan…I’m guessing the guy is “recording” the output into the JamMan and then just using that. There is no sync capability to keep the Trio output in sync with the JamMan.

Purely an assumption but I guess uses the Trio to build his backing tracks (with loops if needed) and then when happy uses the JamMan to capture it.

I have a Yamaha THR10II as an amp for that, and as far as I understood, looping with modelling amps is a complicated enterprise (you have to put the looper in between amps aux and you).

Maybe I’m not really ready for looper and wires :frowning: And I should get the Nux Pro headphone thing

Not at all.
I have the same setup and it works a treat.
You just connect the headphones (out) on the Trio with the Aux (in) on the THR. It works a treat.
I find the Trio a really useful bit of kit. It’s simple to use and fun to create backing tracks with. Most of the negative reviews have to do with it not being that flexible for on-stage live looping or hifi recording, but as a looper/practice/songwriting tool or jam buddy they’re great :smiley:
As I said above, if you buy it, sell the jamMan, which you won’t need and enjoy playing around with it. If you don’t like it you can always resell :smiley:

Fyi I’m selling a Trio+ for €195 but it’s just the pedal, no box or manual.
I can ship a suitable (non original) adapter (TC helicon)
I ship to Europe main land

1 Like

wait, wait, why do you sell if it’s a treasure??

I’m selling a bunch of gear actually, cleaning out the studio.
Already sold some Strymon pedals etc. as well

I’m only keeping the gear frequently enough and the Trio+ is currently not in that category.
I hardly use it these days since I’m in a band where I exchange song/riff ideas with the other guitarist over a metronome or premade drum

1 Like

I’m having a hard time not to gear-procrastinate, where I choose and buy and discuss gear, instead of actually playing and using it, caught myself red-handed here!

I am ready to be confused!

1 Like