Trippin' thru the blues

You need to check out Albert Collins - AKA the Ice Man - for some solid chicken pickinā€™! Classic sound.

1 Like

Paul Butterfield and Mike Bloomfield also should be on your list if you havenā€™t known them already.

Also Elmore James, Otis Spann, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Skip James and Johnny Winter along with Jorma Kaukonen/Hot Tuna.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd comes up with some awesome riffs. Iā€™d start out with the ā€œTrouble Isā€ album: Trouble Is... - Album by Kenny Wayne Shepherd | Spotify

Some good stuff, I think I could make a very good playlist out of everyones versions of ā€˜The Sky is cryingā€™! (actually some of the bending Walter does on that is insane)

Still working through all this homework so keep em coming, Iā€™ll try curate the list at somepoint

or blues with a rock influence :laughing: I guess at some point this becomes shades of grey rather blues or rock.

My favourite Hendrix album is titled Blues. A little different to the stuff he is probably best know for.

Similar with Gibbons, you can probably find specific songs, maybe an album, when the music is closer to traditional, dare I say ā€˜pureā€™, blues.

For the Stones you could listen to Blue and Lonesome. All covers but perhaps interesting to hear their interpretations record in the 2000s.

Similarly, I enjoy listening to the original Robert Johnson and also Claptonā€™s Me and Mr Johnson, which is perhaps easier on the ear.

1 Like

Yep its all grey area really, well blue ā€¦ :slight_smile:

I think in here Iā€™m more interested personally in the more mainline pure blues

1 Like

Iā€™d add Gary Moore and Albert Collins.

1 Like

Gary is a great guitarist but just dont connect with his music overall, Albert for sureā€¦!

@DarrellW posted a couple by Joanna Connor, and then @Dave911 added this one What are you currently listening to? - #225 by Dave911

That is some amazing blues. The woman can play, and she sure can sing. Joe Bonamassa produced her most recent album on his independent blues record label Keeping The Blues Alive.

1 Like

I listened to an interview with Ian Paice (Deep Purpleā€™s drummer) who was in Gary Mooreā€™s band during in a Purple hiatus. He mentioned that Moore didnā€™t consider himself a blues guitarist and felt painted into a corner by the success of the blues record. He wanted to continue down a rock path with various influences.

1 Like

Heā€™s certainly got the blues but does a lot more, which is totally fine, you wouldnā€™t say he is a just a blues guitarist tho.

1 Like

For sure, Rob, and I think he aspired to do more than just the typical hard rock rhythm and lead. But despite efforts and his considerable ability perhaps never achieved fully those aspirations. Perhaps also plays into the under-rated debate, why some consider him to be one of the greats and others consider him to be very good but not in that great and influential league.

And when we think of blues it gets interesting in terms of who is ā€˜justā€™ playing the blues well vs who may be evolving the genre, doing something different that would still be considered blues.
For the former I guess one can then decide who you listen to and players from one generation to the next will not be significantly different, if one is trying to deepen an understanding and appreciation for the blues.

And just in case, without scrolling back ā€¦ are Keb Mo and Taj Mahal on the list?

1 Like

I would add:
Albert Collins
Bonnie Raitt
Canned heat
Lowell Fullson
Luther Allison
Memphis Slim
Shuggie Otis
Sam Chattmon
All of them great blues musicians, well worth listening to!

1 Like

I donā€™t know how much they are up your alley, but you may be interested in Professor Longhair, Allen Toussaint and Dr. John as well.

1 Like