Trippin' thru the blues

Just looking at some grade 5 blues lessons and there are suggestions on what to listen too, now I’ve listened to some Blues but really getting into the whole history of it.

So far going through (40-60s)
Robert Johnson
Muddy Waters
T-Bone Walker
Albert King
B.B. King
Freddie King
Buddy Guy

Then from there to 70+'s
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Erik Johnston
Joe Bonamasa
Robben Ford

Any suggestions on others (not so interested in Clapton…)?

2 Likes

In your older group I would definitely add Howlin’ Wolf and John Lee Hooker.

1 Like

Yes awesome, and Miles Davis (though not guitar)?

you may find this interesting. He start the Blues guitarist at 1:35

2 Likes

Kingfish Ingram. Jontavious Willis. Keb Mo. Gary Clark Jr.

1 Like

Cheers will check those out, GCj I am familiar with somewhat

1 Like

I shouldn’t have neglected Robert Cray.

1 Like

OK Cray is more 80s pop blues it seems, easier listening nicely done tho

1 Like

Loving the music and guitar, not entirely sold on the vocals but overall well worth a shot!

1 Like

2019+ a real 40/50s classic delta sound but new, like it !

1 Like

Some more modern players:
Kingfish Ingram (mentioned earlier, a must listen)
Eric Gales
Sue Foley
GA-20
Popa Chubby

One more for the older list:
Willie Dixon (amazing songwriter, you will recognize Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Grateful Dead versions/influence by Willie Dixon)

2 Likes

More modern, good vocals, wider variety of style, some R&B/Soul mixed in, nice!

1 Like

Yeah listened to Eric before , 'You dont know the blues" - Produced by Joe Bonamassa, and it shows, very slick and powerful music.

The blues stuff great - also awesome to find another Female Blues singer , some of it is a touch too country for me

Lovely topic, Rob.

I can’t recall who was mentioned on the video Stitch posted, but the name that I missed when seeing Robert Johnson was Son House.

From late 60s, Peter Green worth a look. You can take in the early Fleetwood Mac as well as John Mayall recordings.

More modern, what about Billy Gibbons. Perhaps ZZ Top not always pure blues but the blues is strong in them when not going too commercial.

This is a great topic.

Couple more thoughts: in classic acoustic blues/folk: Lightnin’ Hopkins and Mississippi John Hurt are fantastic. Also Skip James, Rev. Gary Davis and Big Bill Broonzy.

In the non-guitar category: Professor Longhair (New Orleans-style piano) is great. And, what the heck, Louis Armstrong. Some would say that “West End Blues” is the absolute pinnacle of American music.

2 Likes

I would add to your 70s+ The Allman Brothers Band when Dwayne Allman and Barry Oakley were still alive. Live at Fillmore and Eat a Peach are great albums and if you can find it, listen to Duane Allman’s version of Going Down Slow from the Anthology album. Or, for that matter, the entire Anthology album which is comprised of takes from the Muscle Shoals studio when he was a session player there.

2 Likes

For 70s+ Walter Trout.

1 Like

Thanks David, know ZZ top well but trying to keep this to straight blues rather than rock with blues influence, all those (Zep, Cream, stones, Hendrix etc) I am fairly familiar with already!

Interesting band, not one I know a lot about, was going to ‘write them of’ as a blues influenced rock band (with some folk, all very 70s) but a fair number of their songs seem solidly rooted in blues. Still think they are more in the rock w blues influence branch of music