Twin Six's Learning Log Rebooted

The D’Addario Nickel Bronze strings that I mentioned in my initial post last June will have lasted a year at the end of this month. They are still resonant and stay in tune remarkably well. If you’re at all inclined to experiment with strings, I’d recommend giving them a try.

2 Likes

It’s been a while, and I’ve already gone through a set of strings on both acoustics as I continue to experiment.

On the six-string, I tried SIT Silencers 11-50, which, after the D’Addario NBs, felt slightly sharp to the touch. Next time I might try 12s. On the Twin Six, I used my go-to DR Rare Bronze 10-48.

On the Twin Six, I’ve changed to an extra-light set of GHS PB 9-42, which are far easier to play in standard tuning and sacrifice nothing in the way of tome and volume. I also have a set of D’Addario PB 9-45s (EJ41) to try next. I’d definitely recommend these extra-light sets to any players of 12-string.
On the Six, I’ve gone the opposite way, with GHS Vintage Bronze Bluegrass 12-56, which have taken a couple of weeks to get used to. The string spacing is rather tight, so thinner strings allow for marginally more room for fingers. Thicker strings have imposed a greater discipline on me to be precise to avoid unintentionally muting strings.

For practice, I have continued starting with the beginner finger stretches, but have varied it by descending the frets, which requires lifting each finger and precisely placing the pinkie on the next string along. It’s only slightly more challenging to explain than it is to do. As for lessons, I have temporarily stalled at Grade 2 Module 13: Blues because of lack of time to concentrate, as summer is upon us!

3 Likes

Nice. I just started noodling on that myself as I try to get back at it. It sounded good. Loved the “And many more” at the end.

1 Like

The “And many more” ending is based on the C7 chord. It’s the kind of thing you discover while noodling.

1 Like

I think I figured it out last night while noodling around. :+1:

1 Like