Two year Justi-versary. I'm still skill challenged

Hey Stacy,

A hearty congratulations on your 2 year anniversary. It is a considerable milestone. You are now at a stage where most who pick up a guitar never get to.
You seem very aware, and switched on to what your weaknesses and challenges are. This is a great attribute to have. It means you are more than half way to overcoming them. (More people than you think are completely unaware of their weaknesses).

Importantly though, donā€™t forget to take at least a few minutes to think about how far youā€™ve come in 2 years; what youā€™ve learnt, how you have developed, the fun youā€™ve had ( and the nutters youā€™ve met in this great community :sweat_smile:).

Keep at it, and keep reaching out here. As you know, there are many here willing to help. We all need it.

All the best,
Cheer, Shane

7 Likes

Congrats on 2 years Stacy!

If we could all pick the right strings, at speedā€¦ well, we could play anything! Thatā€™s guitar. Keep practicing, and learn songs, and youā€™ll keep getting better. Weā€™re all learners here.

Interesting what you mention about finger and hand positioning. Fortunately for me, I have strong hands, but unfortunately, comparatively short and inflexible fingers. Theyā€™re around the same length as my wifeā€™s (who is a lot shorter than me). I have put lots of time into hand stretching, but still struggle with stretchy fretting. So Iā€™ve started looking into short scale guitars like the Mustang or Jaguar. The frets are closer together than the longer fender & Ibanez stuff. Might be worth you investigating.

5 Likes

We all take very different journeys Stacy, with different successes and frustrations. The overarching thing is that youā€™re still progressing and above all still having fun.
Very well done and kudos to you for getting to your 2 year milestone, itā€™s not insignificant at all!

5 Likes

Stacy, thank you for sharing all of these observations, thoughts, and feelings.

Iā€™m in no position to offer you guidance, being only 8 months along myself, but I can tell you what one person climbing the mountain from below you gets from your report - admiration and inspiration. As I read, many times I said, ā€œOh, yeah. Me, too.ā€ And also, ā€œYes! Good for you! Way to stay with it!ā€

I admire that youā€™re aware of the aspects of your playing that need work while you also recognize the many ways that youā€™ve improved and continue to do so. For me, thatā€™s what keeps it ā€œrealā€ - knowing that it is and always will be a work in progress but seeing that it really does continue to move forward. Maybe not as quickly as weā€™d have liked, but it is happening.

I fully relate to your struggle to find songs to play. I canā€™t say Iā€™ve found a perfect solution, but for the moment Iā€™ve committed to trying to ā€œmasterā€ one Justin-lesson song and also found another song with many lessons on YT that I can just enjoy practicing when I want that treat. It took some time to identify a song for that purpose, but for a couple of weeks now itā€™s kept my enthusiasm high. Weā€™ll see how long it delivers.

Your sharing this is a huge part of why I appreciate this community. Thank you.

5 Likes

@LunaRocket My F chord is too! And my C chord, and even sometimes D! Haha. Yes I agree, the back half of Gr 2 and the first couple of modules of Gr 3 are taking/will take a lot of time. But thatā€™s fine! Iā€™m happy to put in the hours.

@judi Yes, the C chord is particularly buzzy for me too. I canā€™t play fast either. Weā€™re in the same boat! And same, I can tell I am getting better too. Itā€™s always great to be amongst others who feel the same pains at the same times.

@Jamolay Great point! When you put it that way, Iā€™ve really come a long way. You always have great insight, thank you!

@BurnsRhythm Wow, really? Awesome! Iā€™m glad to have been an influence on your practice this week. Yes, youā€™re right, I do have a lot more knowledge than I ever did before, which is easily forgotten.

@sclay Thanks! I guess youā€™re right, and though sometimes I have wanted to quit, I just have too much curiosity to do that. And itā€™s been really fun doing all the new techniques I ever knew were a thing. Thanks for the encouragement.

@jkahn Thanks! I know right, and ā€˜play anythingā€™ is indeed the goal. I should investigate getting another guitar, you say?! You heard him, everybody! Donā€™t have to tell me twice! I did seriously consider it, and prioritized the acoustic side, getting the GS Mini, and it did make a big difference. I no longer dread practicing acoustic. Wait a minuteā€¦dreadā€¦dreadnoughtā€¦hmmm. Interesting. :laughing: Seriously though, I might add a short scale electric one day.

@Notter Thank you! Upwards and onwards!

@grabhorn Wow thank you! I agree, and it took a while to really actually accept that it will be a loooong journey. Longer than I realized- not because I think it should be easy, but because I have already played an instrument for many many years. I thought it might be easier for ME. Nope. While I do already have some theory knowledge it didnā€™t help with the practical technique part at all! What a realization that was. Its all good tho! Yep, keep up that enthusiasm, its really key, and the secret to longevity is having the excitement behind it.

7 Likes

Artax, havenā€™t read it all. Keep going. Practice slowly and think exactly about what youā€™re doing . Iā€™m not great by any means and have been playing about 12 years. Enjoy it. Eventually youā€™ll break through and be able to do things beyond your expectations. Not others but yours. Well done. Great stuff.

2 Likes

Happy anniversary Stacy. Slow and steady wins the day, you know my mantra ā€œNot a ā€¦ā€
Well done and thank you as well.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Happy Anniversary :smiley:

I only got my electric guitar after learning accoustic so my palm muting sucks. I can appreciate your struggle, Iā€™ve been trying to learn basket case but canā€™t do the thing when you mute sometimes and not others.

Eitherway, sounds like youā€™re killing it

2 Likes

Hi Stacy, Congrants on the 2 year milestone. I canā€™t say anymore than has been said already, that and Iā€™m not as far as you are so canā€™t comment on things I havenā€™t tried lol.

Just keep going girl, keep going.!

R

:metal:

2 Likes

Congratulations on 2 years, Iā€™m sure many people give up well before then. Donā€™t be disheartened. Maybe take time to make a note of the things you can do that you couldnā€™t do 2 years ago. Listen to great music you love and just take it easy. Itā€™s not a race after all.
Iā€™m only weeks into my journey but have had some low moments and doubts too.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

I embarked on my guitar journey with JustinGuitar in the spring of 2022 and have now reached the end of Grade 2. Iā€™ll need to linger here for a bit longer, even though Iā€™m eager to advance to Grade 3. However, Iā€™m still grappling with several challenges, such as palm muting, ā€œdarlingā€ F-chord :grimacing:, strumming patterns, and more. At times, chord transitions without looking at the fretboard go smoothly, especially with slower tunes. Yet, accurately picking or strumming the correct strings without looking remains a formidable task. Singing while playing simultaneously only works for me with some simple Mani Matter songs.

My song repertoire is modest, but I can play a few tunes and truly relish jamming along with the songs app. Nonetheless, my strumming doesnā€™t quite sound right just yet. Iā€™m hopeful that with the Strumming SOS course, Iā€™ll get it under wraps. My next goal is to record some songs before diving into Strumming SOS Grade 2.

To my surprise, Iā€™ve found music theory to be enjoyable as well. Itā€™s about time, after dodging it for the last 50 years :wink:

Overall, my progress is steady but slow, and I constantly remind myself to be patient. Deciding to learn guitar was definitely the right choice.

Since my time for practice and playing is limited (I havenā€™t retired yetā€”still a few years away :wink:), I havenā€™t been very active in the forum. However, itā€™s motivating to see that others face similar struggles.

Goodbye for now, and see you around :wave:t2:

5 Likes

Sounds exactly like I couldā€™ve written that! I feel a lot better that so many others are in pretty much the same place in skill building at the same time milestone. I know weā€™re not supposed to compare ourselves to others, but I personally like hearing what others are dealing with at 2 years. Thanks for sharing. I know we all realize patience is key. And finding the fun too.

Hi Stacy, we all miss-hit strings occasionally, no big deal. I have followed Justin since covid hit and been through similar issues. My song repertoire is limited too as I have been spending most of my time in the last 12months focusing on pentatonic positions and triads. I find playing riffs more interesting. I still regularly run through the songs that I do know in an effort to keep the ā€œchordā€ muscle memory. I find it helps also to regularly practice the harder open chord changes slowly eg D to C chord, C to G and G to Am. These are also a good for barre chord practice as the changes are easier than using open versions. I try to remember to go slowly and build up speed. ā€œPerfect practice makes ā€œperfect ā€œ permanentā€œ.

From reading your comments re buzz/muted notes, lacking strength and applying the right ā€œforceā€ , assuming your posture and finger placement is reasonable, the next thing to check is your guitar setup.
Lighter strings and a lower action will make it easier to play with a lighter touch, and results in a more ā€œforgiving ā€œ instrument.

Many guitars are initially set up with high actions and poorly cut nuts. Both are easy to check and if necessary, easy to fix.
The difference in playability between a poorly setup guitar and a well setup guitar is often amazing. If youā€™re unable to do this yourself, itā€™s not expensive to get this done professionally, check your local music store.

Try placing your thumb a little lower on the neck. It allows you to reach further with your fingers without over bending your wrist.

Cheers and happy playing
Dave

1 Like

Hi there, thanks for the encouragement. I definitely am going through the stairsteps where, for awhile, it will feel like my chords are great, only to realize a few months later theyā€™re just ok.

Iā€™m not sure if Justin introduces more scales, or if weā€™re supposed to start doing the exploration of scales on our own. Iā€™m just plucking along (literally), waiting on more. I have been introduced to the triads, and sheesh theyā€™re not comfortable at all. Hard on my wrist with the type of tension for the positioning in the first triad lesson. But you make a good point, some lessons/exercises steer us away from songs for whatever reason.

I think I probably do need to keep up with one minute changes and perfect changes exercises. My C chord buzzes with either the middle or first finger, its the stretch coupled with weak pressure. I do the finger gym and any other conditioning exercises Justin introduces and I have the same stretch as I did before (keep in mind Iā€™ve played piano many years, so Iā€™m accustomed to stretching across an octave. The pressure strength in the direction required for a fretboard, I am not very good at). Something I could complain about to no end- still think my hand with the fretboard in it feels weird. Sometimes I think ā€˜this just canā€™t be rightā€™ trying to get a riff or a three note series. For example, in the Lick n Riff lesson, the little walkups on the thick strings between shuffles can be buzzy, even when Iā€™m accurately placing fingers and going slow. I worry it might never get to sound and feeling good.

Yes, my guitars were set up at the time of purchase, and I do have lighter gauge strings already. I have considered going to 8ā€™s on my electrics and 11ā€™s on my acoustics, but I think ā€œthatā€™d require truss rod adjustments, and surely thatā€™s not necessary, if I just keep practicing, keep practicing, my fingers will adjust.ā€ Butā€¦I donā€™t know. I still canā€™t develop substantial calluses (I have mild calluses, that seem to go away really easily). Oh and I measure my action with a gauge occasionally, and all the instruments are low to medium. I have super thin necks, small nut widths, 3/4 scale guitar, all the things that are supposed to help! I think Iā€™ve made all the changes I can, and its just coming down to buffing up the hands. And so I keep going! Although posture is atrocious, I admit that freely.

On your point about lowering the thumb. I hear/read that a lot. I look at my thumb all the time, I compare it to Justinā€™s. His sometimes points toward the headstock, depending on the technique. Sometimes it isnā€™t behind his other fingers at all and its way out to the side. Sometimes itā€™s hidden completely. Sometimes it barely pokes up behind the neck, so I totally get that it is supposed to move around. I wish we could get a really good thread going that talks in good detail about wrist positioning, and what small handed people might have to do in order to achieve the same skills as others. Anyway I digress. I try to bring the thumb down but I worry about that wrist bend that results. Itā€™s never painful, but it will look awful. My natural and comfortable inclination is to point thumb towards the headstock, that way I can get that ā€œpiano octaveā€ stretch if needed, but thereā€™s still the pressure problem (hurts fingertips) where I get buzzing, especially on thick strings.

2 Likes

I would love that! Iā€™ve searched for existing threads but havenā€™t found quite the right one. @roger_holland may know where one exists.

Stacy, Iā€™d like to know more about what you mean by pointing the thumb toward the headstock enabling you to stretch farther. I definitely notice - especially on the thicker strings - that itā€™s much more difficult for me to fret across with my smallest finger unless I do that with my thumb. Having my thumb perpendicular to the neck (pointing ā€œupā€) makes my palm sort of ā€œcupā€ a bit, which extends the reach needed for my shortest finger. I end up doing kind of the opposite of what Justin says he does.

So, yes, a thread on this, please. We can include photos, too.

I jtst mean that, when using pinky on the thick strings, if I turn the thumb toward the headstock, it results in my palm becoming flatter (not cupping) itā€™s enough to straighten the wrist more, meaning I can stretch the pinky out to a further fret (without bending wrist). The wrist is my main concern, and short fingers and small palm really inhibits straight wrist if you donā€™t want to mute strings. I havenā€™t played anything technical enough to need to stretch the pinky super far and I know the thing to do is just move the hand around versus trying to keep the thumb planted. Many times Iā€™ve noticed it is pointing at an angle halfway between straight up and the wall. Just by exploring and doing stretches while focusing on keeping wrist straight reveals that itā€™s less tension in my wrist to let the thumb point itā€™s normal direction if it feels possible to.

1 Like

This is an excellent description of the same issue I face. We need a support group/thread for this.

1 Like

Stacy @artax_2 and Bob @grabhorn, I struggle with similar issues. Like you both, my hands are small-ish (gloves are often too big); Iā€™m also ā€œpetiteā€ (sleeves on regular sizes too long). Of course, this does not prevent us from becoming proficient guitarists (there was a guy called Prince who was pretty good), but it does mean we may need to adjust technique. Iā€™d be up for sharing notes. In fact, Iā€™ll start a new topic now!

Hi Bob,
I stay away from the discussion of ā€œmy hands are too small to do this or thatā€ :blush: I adhere to Justinā€™s idea, I also have very small hands (and especially my my little pinky) and with very inward rotating ring finger and little finger, which hang over each other when at rest) and I also had to work extra hard for that ,still, but it gives me advantages further down the neck :sunglasses:

Greetings

2 Likes

This is a good idea, however, I really think it would have to be a ā€œvideo-threadā€ (or ā€œphoto-threadā€). Itā€™s just too hard to describe and understand written descriptions of hand/wrist positions, subtle rotations, etc. Itā€™s like describing to my tennis pro my backhand in words. Heā€™s not going to be able to help unless he sees me hit a few balls (maybe not even then :slight_smile: ). I know itā€™s an extra hassle posting a video, but I do think it would be much more helpful.

Actually, speaking of pros, you might consider a one-on-one lesson or two to work out some of these issues that you are having. An experienced teacher might be able to immediately see some problem in your technique and give you some pointers on how to correct it.