Under the Boardwalk

Thanks for that factoid, JJW. It’s kind of interesting seeing some of the originals on PBS concerts, even though Grace Slick said in an interview she’d never do it and people don’t really want to see that. :joy:

Thanks, Jim. I appreciate you stopping by.

Hi, Pam. Old projects. If I tried to finish them all and re-did all the ones I’d like to, well, there just wouldn’t be enough time. Glad you liked watching me play, but honestly, I can’t call it work - it’s just a lot of fun.
And yes, I’m beginning to realize this song is more of a classic than I thought. Thanks for the listen and comments.

Hi, Jim. Yes, I know the song, but honestly it’s a relatively easy one to do and I am pretty comfortable when playing it. Knowing the song inside out and muscle memory and being relaxed leads to being comfortable for me.
Glad you liked the balance and levels.
Yes, I’m just using the one mic, a Rode NT1. It’s a great mic and a very sensitive mic. That being said, it’s really too sensitive for playing and singing, as it will bleed ambient sounds from the guitar onto the vocal track, although in the mix I don’t think you’ll hear it, but play the vocal track alone and you can hear it. I think a good dynamic mic would work better for playing and singing.
FYI, the left guitar, bass (just my guitar going through an octave drop) and drums (played on keyboard through Steven Slate drums MIDI) were all recorded and mixed first, then the live vocal and right guitar.
Glad you liked it, and thanks for the listen and comments.

Luc, thanks for stopping by and for the comments. That left hand is attainable, IMO, by a lot of practice and muscle memory and, of course, knowing the song without thinking about where your hand has to go next.
Glad you like the production, too.

1 Like

I’m old beyond my age Dave so I enjoyed that very much. I do enjoy listening to some drifter classics particularly under the boardwalk and Saturday night at the movies. As usual very well played and sung and even better getting to enjoy watching you perform and learn from watching your playing.

I’m starting to think Maggie is turning into a JGC urban legend and we have to say her name three times. @batwoman we miss you, hope all is well :bat:

1 Like

I’m laughing so much that typing is a tad difficult. Your wit and magic spell have certainly lured me out of my cave James. Your winning ways, combined with our inspirational @oldhead49 may have woven enough of a charm to post some music.

Wishing you well in all you do James.

1 Like

Oooooooooooh @oldhead49 Dave so much wonderfullness in 2.52 minutes.

After coming out of a faint

I had to listen and watch separately several times, in order to savour and appreciate every gem.

Your voice has another timbre, a gentle wistfulness, wanting, it draws me in. Then there’s those glorious bass notes, yum.

Your playing is spellbinding. Your connection with the guitar, the groove and the means of making on pitch sounds makes me spin.

Thankyou so much Dave for gifting us this video. It makes me so dizzy I’m not sure I can find my cave.

2 Likes

Dave, that was great!
A tasty sounding guitar, an easily flowing voice - everything is fine!
And you beautifully showed the atmosphere of a summer vacation - it would be sooner if real summer came, and to the beach!
@batwoman
Maggie, dear, I am very glad to welcome you. And maybe it’s not worth going back to the cave? :grinning:
Stay on the beach! :sunglasses:
Leo

1 Like

A relaxed playing style helps for sure. But it doesn’t come easily. Sometimes, I have to ‘force’ myself to be more relaxed (isn’t that an oxymoron :thinking::sweat_smile:?).

Thanks for your comment on my avatar picture :hugs:.

Lots of goodness in this old friend. Much to be savoured :smiley:
I nearly missed it, as I’m just doing a superficial scan and didn’t recognise the new avatar!
I too am a great fan of seeing the performer whenever possible, but I am still adjusting, as in my mind’s eye you still are Howard Keel :rofl:
Great song, and as always, great technical performance in all depts.
Bravo! :sunglasses:
Luring the creature of the night out of her cave deserves even more kudos.
A couple of rocks from my glasshouse I understand you do these primarily for yourself, and these are the levels best for your ears, but I agree with those who felt the drums (Hi-hat) were too prominent.
Part of the essence of this song for me was always the higher pitched vocals in the verses with the deeper chorus. You did the switcheroony
I also missed the bead-like swing percussion on the original.
None of the above detracts from a stellar production. My issues not yours.
Already looking forward to your next offering :smiley:

Awwwww Leo thankyou, it sure is warmer on the beach than in the cave.

That was an enjoyable version of a great old classic

Hi Dave,

Classic tune. Didn’t Bruce Willis do a cover many moons ago - around the time he was in Moonlighting? Loved that tv show.

The tone on the lead is so retro - sounds brill.
Guitar contrasts well with your super deep vocal.

Great job.

Digger

That’s funny, Nicole, but so true. Deep breaths, shake it out, deep breaths!

1 Like

Maggie, it’s good to see you again. Well, hear from you. You’ve always had a way with words.
I don’t know if you remember the song I penned “I’m Just a Poor Boy, Playing My Guitar”, but in the beginning it says “I have dreams of the Ryman and of being a star”, and at the end it says “I never played the Ryman, I never was a star”. Well, I’m sure your feedback makes all who are fortunate enough to get it feel like a star. I know it does with me.
Not only are you an urban legend, but you are, in my opinion, encourager in chief on this forum, and I hope we hear more from you. And that goes for your music too.
Thanks so much for the kind words.

1 Like

Thanks, Leo. It’s close to 90 here, so summer is on the way. I appreciate your feedback - and your comment to Maggie to come out in the warm.

Hi, Brian. Wow, Howard Keel? A great baritone, I believe.
I agree.
Yeah, we need Maggie back.
The levels. It is what it is, at least for the moment. We’ll see what the future holds. Haha, higher pitched vocals from me? I doubt it. Never heard the percussion on the original as I didn’t use a reference file on this,
and didn’t try to imitate anyone. Your issues, and others’, can only help me to find ways to improve. I appreciate the rocks. Well, your looking forward to another, so that’s encouraging.
Thanks for the feedback, Brian; always appreciated.

Thanks, Mal. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I find myself kind of stuck in the oldies, but I enjoy them.

Hey, Digger, thanks for the listen and comments. Yeah, Bruce Willis did do a cover of this one, but I haven’t heard his version in a long time. Glad you liked the tone on the lead.