Under the Boardwalk

I was 15 when this song was released 60 - yes, 60 - years ago. It still brings back memories from my youth. Hard to believe it’s still played today.
Living close to the beach, in the summer the buskers on the boardwalk play this, and they’ll have people singing and dancing along, and not just us oldies.
I posted an unfinished, half-baked version of this on the old platform. Going through some of my unfinished projects I ran across this one and thought I’d give it a complete redo and finish it.
This is a good song to learn/practice rhythm using three-note chords on the 2d, 3rd and 4th strings while muting 1, 2 and 6.
Does anybody else remember this one? Even if you don’t, I hope you’ll enjoy the easy going light nature of it.
@batwoman Come out of the cave, Maggie. Haha.

Feedback always welcomed.

23 Likes

Wonderful production, Dave.

Loved the vocal, with backing and delicious guitar tones. Rhythm and lead spot on! Your fingers sure no their way round the fretboard!

Loved to watch you play and sing!

From a mix, I would have suggested dropping the drum levels down and then raise the music level up. Or could say, raise up all the guitars. Just my subjective 2cs worth.

As for the song, I heard it first via the Stones cover, which is on one of the Hot Rocks compilations, if I recall correctly.

Hi Dave,
Wonderful to start the day with, a big part of the pleasure is seeing you :grinning: :sunglasses:instead of (the also great) other videos like you make…
Makes me very happy :clap: :partying_face: :sunglasses: :man_bowing:
Thanks and
Greetings

1 Like

Most enjoyable version of an all time classic Dave and as the others have said it’s awesome to see you in the spotlight! Kind of agree with David’s comments on the drum levels, not that it took away any pleasure of listening to it at all. Great solo work, lovely way to pass time with my second morning coffee!

What an enjoyable listen, Dave :smiling_face:.
Of course, I know the song. It seems to be quite popular around the globe :star_struck:.
Very fine production :+1::clap:. The fret work looks tricky. But you look and sound so relaxed - awesome :smiley:.

A bit off topic, but I also appreciate your new avatar pic, as the former one reminded me of times, I don’t want to be reminded of any more :face_with_peeking_eye:.

That was great Dave! Well done and very enjoyable :smiling_face:
Yes, definitely know the song. It is still played a lot around here too. I think it’s one of those classics that just don’t go out of style :smiley: :sunflower:

1 Like

Such a great song and you did justice with your performance. Your voice fits perfectly and you looked very comfortable with your playing. Well done!

Hi Dave. Yes I remember the original from the Drifters too. In fact I was at a Four Tops (not the original ones of course, I suppose they must have a licence to use the name) concert last weekend and they included this song along with their own songs and lots of Motown stuff. Terrific song and you certainly did it justice in terms of vocals, guitar play and production.
Great to see you on video too. Well done.

I love the Tops and was curious about this. Actually, one of the original 4 is still part of the group, Abdul “Duke” Fakir. How about that!

To me “Reach Out I’ll Be There” is among the greatest songs of all time.

1 Like

Nice :slight_smile:

Great idea to get in there and finish your old project(s). This was well done. Love watching you work that guitar. Really nice to see you in your latest videos. This is a great song, which is why it’s such a classic.

That was great Dave!
Man, you really know that song. You barely even looked at your fretting hand. Not even during the solo.
You’re obviously very comfortable playing that tune.

Good balance between the vocals and music too. Are you just using that one mic that’s in the video?
However you recorded it, you’ve got your levels down just right too.
Very Well Done!

WOW :exclamation: This is great :exclamation: Love it :exclamation: Love everything. Your playing (I’m jalous of your left hand…). The general production. Bravo Dave and thanks for sharing :exclamation: :pray: :pray: :pray:

David, thanks for the listen. I appreciate the comments. As far as levels, I guess that’s more a subjective subject and there are a lot of different theories about how to balance things. My theory is if it sounds ok to me then it’s good. And now that my hearing loss is in the bilateral profound range, I mix to what sounds right to me, which is all I can really do. And I’m more a garage band type guy anyway than studio perfect, if you know what I mean.
I considered doing the Stones version of this, but since I started it way back with the Drifters version I just stayed with that.

1 Like

Hi Roger. Seeing me as opposed to Johnny or Eric or ZZ? Wow. I really appreciate that, Roger. Glad it was a good start to your day and made you happy. Thanks for taking a listen and commenting.

Mark, glad you thought it was enjoyable version. See my remarks to David about the levels. Thanks for the listen and comments.

1 Like

Nicole, Glad you enjoyed it. I guess it’s more popular still than I realized. I know on our Boardwalk it’s a hit with tourists when the buskers do it.
Fret work really isn’t that tricky and it’s a fairly simple song to play.
I’ve found that being relaxed really helps my play. Early on I would grip the fretboard with a death grip. Over time I’ve learned to relax when playing and it honestly helps.
Yeah, the avatar. I tried a couple times to change it and ran into problems for some reason. BTW, I love yours.
Thanks for stopping by and for the comments.

1 Like

Hi, Jasmine. Thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed it. I believe you’re right about it just being one of those classics that doesn’t go out of style.
It’s pretty remarkable when you think about it being 60 years since it was released.

1 Like

Thanks, Boris. I’m happy that you thought I did it justice. As far as being comfortable when I play, Justin did a video with a girl and told her that you should be able to play the song and carry on a conversation at the same time. That stuck with me. Being relaxed and muscle memory go a long way toward that end. Thanks for the listen and comments.

1 Like

Lucky you going to see the Four Tops and hearing this live. People are more familiar with this one than I thought there would be. Thanks for the nice comments, too.

1 Like