Understanding Music Ties & Strumming Patterns

oddly enough, for the faster bits (won’t ruin what the pattern is) it’s a lot easier for me to just listen and play along to workout the strumming pattern and then break it down into rhythm notation afterwards. Don’t know if this method will work once we get into more complicated 16th note patterns, but I have a pretty good ability to replicate the rhythm instinctually as of right now

1 Like

I downloaded the two sheets beneath the vid but where do I find the answers? Justin just says “go to the website for the solution.” In the sheets I am not sure which solution fits to the examples (i.e. minute 20) he’s playing cause there seems to be no hint. In the sheets it says answer B, D, C but where is that in the vid? Sorry for my confusion. Cheers, Jen

1 Like

The PDF contains answers for both the Guitar Pro examples and the two tests from the video.

Sections A, B, C and F - This is the written notation of the examples from the Guitar Pro file.

Sections D and E - These are the answers for the two tests from the video.

• Starting from 16:46, Justin plays 4 examples with hit points. The answers are shown on screen each time, and you’ll find them on the second page in section D.
  • At 19:52, he plays 4 examples with chords. Again, the answers are shown on screen each time, and you’ll find them on the second page in section E.
1 Like

Why does the 4th beat use an 2 8th notes? Couldn’t you just use a 1/4 note there?

Exactly! There are multiple ways to notate the same rhythm and at the end it comes down to what you prefer.

This example is just given to demonstrate that principle. I don’t see any reason to use tied eight notes instead of a quarter note here - and I assume most people don’t. But maybe someone out there finds it easier to visualize eight notes.

However, there are situations where opinions are more divided. Eg dots vs ties. A dotted quarter note has the same duration as three tied eight notes. Some people prefer dots, others prefer ties.

Choices, choices…

Frustrating for beginners trying to learn. Well at least this guy.