Understanding Rests

You should know how to write complete silence in strumming patterns! We call them rests. Learn all about it here.

View the full lesson at Understanding Rests | JustinGuitar

Still thoroughly enjoying your courses Justin… At age 66 after 55 years of violin I took up the guitar a year ago and I am now preparing my retirement ceremony from the university I am )president of with a concert with a group of my students (Harvest by Neil Young, Heart of gold, Don’t cry for me Argentina Hank Marvin’s version, where I play lead, Tunnel of love where I’m the rythm guitar, when a man loves a woman Bolton’s version where finding what 2 guitars, one bass a piano and drums can play is rather challenging,Still loving you by the Scorpions… Quite a program which means a lot of work and listening to your courses and many excellent pieces of advice. I masteres the beginner’s modules except grade 3 that you are currently finalizing and I am in Intermediate grade 4 which is my current level I think for many things. (I didn’t start from scratch having played classical guitar betwen age 7 and 11). I don’t know why I saying this.
In fact my message was on the quarter note silence : you can think opf it as 2 stacked 7 which is consistent with two eight note silences. Just a suggestion to memorize it more easily…

Hi Justin,this course has opened up the mystery of sheet music.I am trying to get back into guitar after suffering a stroke about 5 years ago.I now realise after doing the ABRSM grade 4,that music notation has 2 parts,the rhythm and the actual pitch of the notes.My previous guitar teacher who had a degree in music could not explain the subject as well as you m8.Cheers,i also have your rhythm book too,as i dont believe in taking and not giving…