Uninvitedguests LL

Hi, well I keep getting told to record myself playing so I can see progress so here we go, Ive decided to be a. big brave boy and post something.
Ive just finished Grade 1 module 3 and this is my first attempt at 7 Nation Army on acoustic guitar.
Gonna try it again on Electric.
(apologies for basically showing you uncle fester trying to play guitar when he had hair, lol I do have a face for radio)

19 Likes

Hi Gary, good you started your learning log and right away posted a video to provide an opportunity to receive feedback. For me the riff sounds good. You’re keeping a steady rhythm and the note duration sounds correct to me.

1 Like

Thank you, I’m going to try it on an electric guitar next, see if I can lose the grinding finger on the string or clean it up by not sliding.
Really enjoying the course, and almost perfected the opening chorus of 3 little birds as well :smile:

2 Likes

I do like to record when I’m playing guitar. Even if it’s just for myself, so I can see my mistakes. It’s easy to get into the zone when you’re practicing and not notice some things.

Recording it just makes it easier to go back and see some of issue you may encounter when playing.

3 Likes

Still on module 3,
A-D 53
A-E 48
D-E 42
Am-Em 50
Am-E 35
Em-D 35
Fingers a lot less painful.
Strumming a lot better than I have ever managed before.
Intro Chorus For 3 little birds sounding OK but still need work on verse. (will do a video when Im off the night shifts)
Learned all the notes on the 1st and 6th string. Including sharps and flats. (using the app)

1 Like

Am-Em 73 Flowing the changes :slight_smile:
Am-E 35
Em-D 35 A bit of a struggle today for some reason :frowning:

Really got the arm moving smoothly and even tapping foot on the beat.
3 Little birds, Getting better every time I play. Managed to sing quietly along as well. Played through the whole song 3 times and made a few mistakes but managed to keep strumming instead of stopping.
Learned all the notes on the 1st, 5th and 6th string. Pretty quick on the 1st and 6th but still working on the fifth.
Oh well, 1 more night shift to day then some well earned time off.

1 Like

Hi Gary,
You are on the roll :smiley:, good job and you have caught the bug well I read, keep it up and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Thank you Roger, it has been a long way back from a very difficult time during the pandemic working on the front line.
My moving average is moving in the right direction, at last. :grinning:

1 Like

OK, this is a real biggy for me, Never even tried to sing along to a track before. Never actually played a song, just practiced a few riffs from them etc without to much success. I find singing in my head helps me know when the chord changes happen.
Having watched this back there is a reason I don’t sing, lol.
So first attempt at 3 little birds whilst singing as well. (I apologise in advance lol )

This is a real good way of seeing your mistakes, look at the shocking placement of the 3rd finger on the D chord. I spotted it straight away when I watched it back.

And this is me trying to get better finger placement on the fretboard when playing scales.Pentatonic and blues scale noodling - YouTube On Electric guitar

8 Likes

Todays practice,
A-D 77
A-E 64
D-E 59
Am-Em 70
Am-E 45
Em-D 48
The rest of todays practice can be seen above

1 Like

Well done Gary. Nice constant strumming and good chord changes there. I was actually pleasantly surprised by your singing after reading the warning.

1 Like

Lol, thank you

Grade 1 module 1 theory Passed.

2 Likes

Module 2 theory Passed.
Up to module 5 Grade 1.
Sunshine of your Love Riff on my Ibanez (my first ever Guitar) Sunshine - YouTube

2 Likes

My strumming sucks big time. I know I will eventually get there but at the moment I feel like I have zero rhythm and other than just down strums or down up a pattern is a million miles away.

1 Like

You will be rocking and ruling in no time bro. :wink: :sunglasses: - Think we all have this little impatient devil within us. Don’t let that little bugger take over :wink: :joy: - Very good you have recorded yourself so early on. Progress becomes very visible and also it’s such a great tool to be able to watch oneself, looking for things to improve. - I had issues with fingers too far from the fret and very bended wrist, which I noticed mostly from the videos I recorded. - and by the way, your voice is really nice. A good cognac and a cigar just to get that extra bit, you know, and you are golden :partying_face: :sunglasses: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind words and support.
Yes the impatience thing is quite a monster, lol. I know it will just take time and strumming is the biggest problem I have but I am sure with more practice it will fall in to place
Cheers

1 Like

Hey Gary,

First welcome to the community mate.

You’re doing very well mate, for so early on in your journey.

Some things I noticed;

1. Your strumming is pretty much in time. You say its just simple down/ up, and it is, BUT thats where you have to start from. With a solid, basic strumming technique like you have, you’ll be able to eventually build to more advanced patterns - which are just missing strums on different beats really.
    So thats a huge plus. Rhythm in music is king.
  2. Your voice is fine mate. Its soft because you’re probably nervous etc, but that 100% normal. The thing is you can sing in tune, so you’re on your way there.
  3. You seem very observant with your playing/ practicing , as far as picking out errors, improvements areas etc. Eg. Your chord formations here and there, strumming etc. Another big plus which is going to see you develop quicker.

So you’ve got a lot of good things going on there. In the months ahead, with your mindset, I reckon you’re going to see some significant development.

All the best.
Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Cheers Shane, your feedback is most helpful. I guess I am my own worst critic lol. Thank you for taking the time to to feedback to me Cheers

1 Like

Well just finished todays practice, doing as Justin mentioned in the lessons I have created a strumming pattern that fits well with both three little birds and For what it’s worth.
I can actually plat it pretty consistently but now with a different pattern it is almost like learning the song again. LOL Not a chance of singing along yet but it does sound much better with a pattern so progress is been made.
A pretty simple pattern to be honest. D D DUD.

1 Like