Unstable equilibrium

Perhaps this is just my innate clumsiness but I struggle using “gear”. I have a Scarlett 2i2. I place it on my desk and it’s stable only until I plug cables into it. Then it meanders across the desk from the pull of said cables that are also plugged into other gear, like the mic and the guitar and headphones. Should I velcro the 2i2 to the desk? Is this just me?
I could go on…about all the other gear…and cables, which have an inclination to form into a tangled rats nest.
It’s why I only play acoustic most of the time.

1 Like

Hi John,
Any chance you could post an image, or even better a video of this?
Oh, and maybe one of the mods could then re-locate this to Social/memes & jokes :rofl:

(Sorry, couldn’t help myself. My son has a Scarlett in the room next door. I have not made her acquaintance yet. :roll_eyes:)

3 Likes

Is this a problem unique to the Scarlett brand? I have a Behringer and it never moves unless I pick it up and move it myself.

Seriously though, if your interface is moving around due to the pull on the cables, then your cables are too short or you’re too far away from it. Move closer or buy longer cables, problem solved. (I had to buy a longer headphone cable after yanking mine too often.)

1 Like

I have the same Scarlett and mine seems to stay on the desk. Long cables, different desk, etc.

But cables are super annoying especially when adding headphones. Going to get a wireless system at some stage.

Interface or woman?

Yes, in general cables are a pain, especially with smaller, lighter gear.

My Orange Micro Terror is a case in point: the weight of a decent cable is enough to unbalance it. In that case I wrap the cable underneath the unit so it is coming out the back, which stabilises it nicely.

If velcro works for you, then why not. Or maybe something less drastic like blutack?

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I have Scarlett John but I never had issues with it dancing around my desk while playing. What cables length you have for both mic and guitar?

@brianlarsen
None whatsoever, Brian…my arms are pinned to my sides by this time. No scope for holding and pointing a camera! :angry:

@Goffik
I had the same problem with the infamous Behringer UM2, I initially used, which is now consigned to a draw.

Optimal cable length is something I need to work on. I have various lengths, bought over the years. Too short and they pull the interface when I move. Too long and the extra length leads to tangled, uncooperative cables and they still have a tendency to pull the interface, due to their weight.

@jkahn
My cable management skills definitely need improvement!

That was the question I really wanted…want to know the answer to! :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I know what you mean. If I was still using a cable for my guitar then it probably would be too heavy and drag the interface across my desk when plugged in. Thankfully I went wireless some time ago, though am still tethered when using headphones. Even with a long cable I have to keep reminding myself not to bop too far away from my desk.

I wish someone would invent a viable, latency free way of transmitting data/power through air. Come on, it’s 2022 already! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was thinking of cleats to wrap the cables round but using the unit itself sounds good.

I have a range: 2m, 3m, 10m even! I am experimenting.

Here’s a pic:

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I used to have problems like this years ago and learned why Roadies always carried a box of gaffer tape :joy:
Suitably applied, problem gone!

1 Like