User Guide : Community Recordings - finding and browsing posts by using 'tags'

All posts in the Community Recordings section are tagged

This shows a topic title. Below it is the category, then the subcategory then the tag of that user - @DavidP in this instance.

[ side note - all tags are fully lower case ]

Currently the moderators manually tag all topics on your behalf - lovely people that they are! :wink:

The tags enable everyone to find, sort or browse topics within Community Recordings made by specific community members.

Here is a simple guide to using them.

4 Likes

This guide assumes that you have arrived at Community Recordings by using the Categories button:

When you arrive you will see this on page.

Turn your attention to these three buttons.

The 1st tells you which community category you are in (and we know that already) so we can move on.

The 2nd tells you that you are within the main category, not one of the subcategories. By clicking on the drop-down you will see this.

It reveals the five sub-sections and shows how many topics are within each. Clicking on one of these takes you inside a subcategory - just as clicking on any of these headings would do.

Simple enough.

1 Like

Selecting the 3rd drop-down menu - All Tags - allows you to filter topics by named community members.
This is my default view.

I can select one of those names or type to search for a different memberā€™s name.

For example:

We can now view all topics created by @LievenDV.

Note that the three topics are all within different subcategories yet showed up in our search. That is because we searched from within the parent category not a subcategory.

1 Like

You can first apply a subcategory filter and then the Tags filter.

For example, if you want to find topics with original songs posted by a certain member you would first select the Originals filter then type the username you were searching for.

Here are the results for @brianlarsen

I hope that helps.
Cheers
:slight_smile:
Richard

4 Likes

Hehe, all I said in my msg, was that I had never used ā€˜tagsā€™ā€¦
(I didnā€™t really expect you to serve me up my droids :rofl:)

1 Like

Hi Richard, useful topic and thank for the information.
So can we tag AVOYP posts ourselves or is it only moderators who can do this at the moment?
Thanks!

1 Like

Only mods. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:+1: Donā€™t trust us eh? :wink:

1 Like

Helloā€¦
What was wrong with ā€¦click on someoneā€™s avatarā€¦click on topics createdā€¦ready :grimacing:
I feel like Iā€™m missing something and donā€™t understand (annoying feeling) :upside_down_face:ā€¦or is this much more useful for people who visiting the site with a phone?, youā€™ve certainly been busy with it all Richard so I give you somthing to drink :tropical_drink: and rest :desert_island: and I hope it makes many people happy :sunglasses:
Greetingsā€¦

That works ā€¦ of course ā€¦ in filtering a single personā€™s topics. But they may have created, say, 7 topics in the Community Recordings category and 17 topics spread across the community.
TAG searching is more focused.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I pointed that out to @Richard_close2u as well but he insisted to managing this because of being able to offer that ā€œrecordingsā€ view for users. His love for you guys is something special :wink: | kidding aside, weā€™ve got some stuff going on in the background concerning stats, links, mods, pluginsā€¦, step by stepā€¦ Consider this an extensive proof of concept ā€œwith a lot of iterations but small incrementsā€ :smiley:

3 Likes

So in other words ā€œItā€™s going to get a lot more Complicated around hereā€

2 Likes

au contraire! :smiley:

We had quite the extensive conversation on how we could keep the experiences as universal and intuitive as possible for everybody, no matter how many specific experience you have on this Community. BUT, since we want to take the road of walking the talk, the aknowledge the only way to know if something works is to see it succeed or fail in practice. Failing forward (or hopefully hitting most of the right notes right away).

2 Likes

:laughing:
Okay, thanks for the explanation, it seemed like a lot of hassle to me for you mods, while for me, for example, just reading this and what has been written about the tags before takes so much more time instead of just clicking on someoneā€™s avatar and scrolling than it would even take years to ā€œprofitā€ ( by that time some here have a 1000+topics so then the tags help me probably :smile:)

Thatā€™s why I honestly wondered what I missed / saw wrong, which when it comes to technical/internet things is often the case that itā€™s just me missing things :smiling_face:
I calmly look forward to what is to come and wish you good luck and fun finding out and a little peace :sunglasses:
Greetingsā€¦

3 Likes

Just wanted to let you know, that I never felt lost in the structure of this community site. Never missed anything and always found everything I was searching for. Canā€™t evaluate the over all strategy behind the scenes, but from my users aspect everything is just fine :hibiscus:

3 Likes

Thank you :exclamation:

3 Likes