Using My Practice Assistant

My Practice Assistant is the perfect tool to keep you focused on what matters and track your progress!

View the full lesson at Using My Practice Assistant | JustinGuitar

1 Like

I enjoy the pratice assistant. I have a question about it.

Is there a way to display the number of hours played in a long period of time. For instance, how many hours did I pratice this month, this year, last month etc… ?

I can see the pratice time for this week, but I didn’t find how to do it for other periods.

Thanks.

@mynoud - you can click on the dates on the bottom of the bar chart to enter a different time frame then click on Filter to display the results.

1 Like

@Tom_b Thank you. It works like a charm.

The practice assistant is perfect for me. It keeps me on track for what is important to learn. Really a Godsend.

If ever there is a tweak to the PA in stats I would like to be able to view my total hours practiced from day one as a continuous item that grows over time and then a filtered view alongside it like week, month, year, or mod.

Thanks for everything!
Smokey

Hi Justin! Love your courses, only just starting but I’m really excite to keep going with the guitar :slight_smile:
Just quickly wanted to mention something I noticed: I’m not sure if this is the case, but I worry that the screen blinking like that when a practice routine has been completed might be triggering for people with photosensitive epilepsy? Maybe just a sound would make the practice assistant safer for everyone? Just a thought. All the best, can’t wait to continue with your lessons, thank you for providing these great resources!

HI Maximiliane and welcome to the Community.

Its great that you are enjoying your guitar journey and excited about keeping going. There are a whole host of friendly folk here, only to willing to help if you get stuck.

I can’t help regarding the screen issues you mention but hopefully one of Justin’s team will following up. Why not pop over to

Introduce yourself …

Introduce yourself. Then look around, make yourself comfortable.

and let folks know a little about yourself,. As you will see there have been loads of people joining the Community since it was moved to its new platform.

Enjoy your ride. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@LievenDV or @Richard_close2u can you pass Maximiliane’s concerns and suggestion on to the right folks.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks so much, Toby! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi I’m having a Weird issue with the practice Assistant. When I click on the start button the screen on my phone goes black I need to touch it to see video or close it by this time the timer is running leaving me less minutes to practice. I tried shutting down always use video assistance and still does it. Can anyone help.
Regards
Adrien

Hi, I think the practice assistant is a good way to keep my practice regulated, but I have one question about it. If I want to do 4 times 1 minute chord changes, do I have to make 4 different items for that or is there a way to quadruple that in the routine itself? Thanks in advance!

I had been using the practice assistant a little when it was introduced, but only now really taking full advantage of it’s features. After reviewing the Practice Assistant video again last week, I realized that I could add the songs and associated videos as items directly from the song video pages. Before I had added my own song practice items with the names of the song, but this is so much better.

I am also starting with the module practice items and then duplicating and editing out the completed and mastered items and adding songs for practice as I progress in the module, plus adding in a few items for extra practice.

The Practice Assistant is a real benefit to me to keep myself honest as to how much practice I really do and not just what I think I do. That encourages daily consistency and help with moving forward with my progress.

2 Likes

A tip if anyone else has been just writing their Minute Chord Change stats into a notebook (or logging them in the app) until seeing this video and deciding to try to use my practice assistant on the website:

You are able to record a backlog of stats by manually changing your computer’s date and time. I’d recommend going to the first day you have stats for and then “time traveling” forward, because your Routines/Exercises/Items only show on or after the “date” they were created.

1 Like

Might have been said already but flashing screens can cause seizures. Just turning the screen blue should be enough to indicate time is done on practice assitant. :slight_smile: Thanks for all the zillion hours of work you’ve put into this Justin. I’ve tried to learn guitar many times and now four decades later finally feel like I can play. Grateful for you.

1 Like

@Jordi97 Did you get that sorted?

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

Just a note. In the app there is a count off in practices. It makes it hard to count 1-min quick change progress when the website version of the Practice Assistant doesn’t count off so by the time I lean over to click play with my computer and return to playing position I have lost seconds off my quick changes and usually not the same number of seconds ha ha.

1 Like

Hello

I have a suggestion for the Lessons and Practice Assistant.

It would be much easier if we could directly add a Lesson from a Module to a Practice Routine in one step (incorporating the information for the “New Item” within that one step).

As it is now, we need to add a Lesson to the New Item and then open a Routine, scroll to find the new lesson/item just added and then add it to the Routine. It seems a bit cumbersome to me.

(Also, I understand that having the lessons as Items is helpful because we may want to copy lessons/items into different practice routines)

It seems like it’d almost be easier to simply create a spreadsheet and copy the link for the Lessons I want to review rather than going through the steps to make Items and Routines in the Practice Assistant.

Don’t get me wrong, the Practice Assitant is a great idea/tool and has useful features (timer, metronome, notes) and I know a lot of work and thought went into it.

I’ve missed several months of playing/practicing and I am trying to go back through the Beginner Course and add lessons I need to review.
I’m trying to figure out the most efficient process to use to add lessons to a review routine.

Thanks
Andrew

1 Like

Hi, I can’t seem to add an item to the practice items from your web content as you demonstrated in the video with the finger gym. I go to the Technique, Fretting Hand, and select finger gym but below there is no “Practice” button to add the item to a routine. Can you help me? Is it a browser problem? What is the recommended browser?
Thank you,
Dan

1 Like

Never mind, figured it out. It appears that I needed to have created my first practice in order to add an item from the web content.
Thank you. I appreciate the extensive content and material you have.

1 Like

Great tool ! Thanks

1 Like